Remember the AJA Cion? It was announced at NAB earlier this year, but was dwarfed by an abundance of new Blackmagic cameras. Not much coverage has been released regarding the CION. Today, that’s changed with a lovely looking promo shot exclusively on the 4K camera.
The video is shot entirely on the AJA CION, completely ungraded and un-colour corrected. The majority is shot at 23.98fps UltraHD ProRes 4444, with some 59.94fps ProRes 422 conformed in-camera.
Download the original for a proper inspection, although bare in mind that this is still a compressed .MP4.
I’ve had a look myself but must admit the environment I’m in for our IBC coverage isn’t best suited for pixel peeping (glossy laptop screen in a bright environment!).
My first impressions are very positive though, sharp but not overly sharp; with a bit of warm correction the skin tones will look lovely.
For those whom have forgotten, here’s a promo video highlighting the features and specification of the AJA CION
And the specification list:
- 4K APS-C 22.5mm x 11.9mm CMOS Sensor
- Electronic global shutter, 12 stops of dynamic range
- Removable PL mount. EF,B4 and G mount also available
- 4x 3G-SDI Main Outputs, 2x HDMI Outputs
- 7.4 lbs / 3.4 kg (with top handle attached)
- 4K/UHD/2K/1080 recording options
- ProRes 4444 and ProRes 422 up to 30p all resolutions
- ProRes 422 up to 60p all resolutions