Dell’s UltraSharp 27 4K PremierColor Monitor (UP2720Q) is the world’s first 27-inch 4K monitor with built-in colorimeter and Thunderbolt 3 connectivity. It offers UHD resolution on an IPS panel with high contrast ratio, and 100% Adobe RGB, 98% DCI-P3 and 80% BT2020 color space standards. It will be available from January 2020 on, starting at $2,000. A stand and shading hood will be included.
Dell’s UltraSharp line of monitors has been on the market for years. It includes a wide variety of models, ranging from affordable panels up to professional tools. During Adobe MAX, Dell announced a new 27″ UltraSharp 4K (UHD) monitor, which is aimed at photographers and editors. What are its features and specs?
Dell UltraSharp 27 4K PremierColor Monitor
According to Dell, their new UltraSharp 27 4K PremierColor Monitor (UP2720Q) is the world’s first 27-inch 4K monitor with built-in colorimeter and Thunderbolt 3 connectivity. The color accuracy is definitely the unique selling point of this monitor. It offers 100% Adobe RGB, 98% DCI-P3 and 80% BT2020 color space standards. According to Dell, DCI-P3 is increasingly being adopted as a color standard on more devices due to the larger color gamut and higher color accuracy.
The built-in colorimeter offers quick and easy calibration – on-demand or scheduled after hours for consistent and optimized color performance. The UltraSharp 27 4K PremierColor works seamlessly with the CalMAN color calibration software (sold separately) to perform a variety of tasks, including calibration with a built-in or external colorimeter.
The monitor features Ultra HD (3840×2160) resolution with a high contrast ratio and low dark luminance for high contrast and deep blacks. It offers two Thunderbolt 3 ports with speed of up to 40Gbps. The monitor can charge up to 90W to a connected notebook, while simultaneously transferring video and data signals. Users can daisy chain up to two 4K monitors with Thunderbolt to increase multitasking efficiency.
The Picture-By-Picture (PBP) feature is ideal for comparing visual content side by side, allowing users to view the same image in different color spaces, or compare images from two different sources.
Dell will be selling this monitor with an easy-to-attach shading hood to reduce any unwanted glare and reflection from sunlight or overhead lights.
Dell UltraSharp 27 4K PremierColor – Full Specs
- Viewing size: diagonal 684.7 mm (27″), horizontal 596.74 mm (23.49″), vertical 335.66 mm (13.21″)
- Maximum preset resolution: 3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz
- Aspect ratio: 16:9
- Pixel pitch: 0.1554 mm x 0.1554 mm
- Pixel per inch (PPI): 163
- Brightness: 250 cd/m2 (typical)
- Color support: Color gamut (typical): CIE1931 Adobe RGB 100%, CIE DCI-P3 98%, CIE BT.2020 80%, Color depth: 1.07 billion colors (True 10 Bit)
- Color calibration accuracy: Delta E < 2 (average)
- Dell monitor SDK support: Yes
- Color calibration, management software: Yes, CalMAN® Ready for Dell (sold separately), Dell Color Management, Dell Calibration Assistant
- Color calibration with internal colorimeter: Yes
- Color calibration with external colorimeter: Yes (with compatible colorimeters)
- Contrast ratio: 1300 : 1 (typical)
- Viewing angle: 178° (vertical) typical / 178° (horizontal) typical
- Response time: 8 ms (normal mode); 6 ms (fast mode) – (gray to gray)
- Panel type: In-Plane switching technology
- Backlight technology: White LED edgelight system
- Flicker-free screen: Yes
- Dell display manager compatibility: Yes
- Daisy chain availability: Yes, MST capable monitor
- Picture-by-Picture (PbP): 2 modes – AA, AB mode
- Display screen coating: Anti-glare treatment of the front polarizer (3H) hard coating
- Connectors: 1 x DP 1.4 (HDCP 2.2), 2 x HDMI 2.0 (HDCP 2.2), 1 x Thunderbolt™ 3 Upstream port (DP 1.4), 1 x Thunderbolt™ 3 Downstream port (DP1.4), 2 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Downstream port (DP1.4), 2 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Downstream port, 2 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Downstream port (1 x BC 1.2 charging capability at 2A (max))
- Adjustability: Height adjustability stand (130 mm), Tilt (-5° to 21°), Swivel (-45° to 45°), Pivot (-90° to 90°)
- Security: Security lock slot (cable lock sold separately), Anti-theft stand lock slot (to lock stand to monitor using screw)
- Flat panel mount interface: VESA mounting holes (100 mm x 100 mm-behind attached VESA cover)
- AC input voltage/frequency/current: 100 VAC to 240 VAC / 50 Hz or 60 Hz + 3 Hz / 2.8 A (maximum)
- Power consumption (operational): 44W (typical) / 230W (maximum)
- Power consumption Stand by/Sleep: Less than 0.5W
- Dimensions (with stand): Height (Compressed ~ Extended) 433.4 mm ~ 563.4 mm (17.06 inches ~ 22.18 inches), Width 611.9 mm (24.09 inches), Depth 212.0 mm (8.35 inches)
- Weight: panel only – for VESA mount – 5.55 kg (12.24 lbs), with packaging – 14.14 kg (31.17 lbs)
Pricing and Availability
Dell’s UltraSharp 27 4K PremierColor monitor will be available from January 15th 2020 on. Pricing will start at $2,000. The monitor will come with a stand and monitor hood.
What do you think of the new UltraSharp PremierColor monitor? Do you calibrate your monitor? How important is color accuracy for you? Let us know in the comments underneath the article.