After Canon announced their much anticipated EOS C300 cinema camera and with it their entry into the professional movie making market, RED digital cinema had something to say too.
In an evening where almost all the relevant sites including reduser.net itself were down it was exciting news when the info started to spread on twitter.
And here are the specs:
– It is called Scarlet-X
– Canon EF mount (PL mount optional)
– Super35 sized sensor
– does 50mb/s, 440 mb/s redcode raw, 16bit RAW processing
– Video: 4k @ 30fps, 3k @ 48fps, 2k @ 60fps, 1k @ 120fps
– Stills: 5k
– supports autofocus w Canon and Nikon mounts
– Same weight as Epic
– Only difference in image between Scarlet and Epic is data rate
Ships: Dec. 1st
Price: $14k for full package, $9750 body only
The Red Scarlet can be preordered on the red.com website:
And here are some reactions on Twitter after the RED announcement:
@KarenRousso Canon just had its ass handed to it by Red. #Scarlet
@michaeldorian Canon EOS C 300 is dead on arrival. #red #scarlet is put the hammer down. Game over.
@hummelstrand So is there anything that the #C300 does better than the #Scarlet, which is half the price and higher-res?
@MartinBeek For sale, Canon C300. Hardly used. Will trade for Scarlet + beer.