As working professionals we at cinema5D are occasionally being asked about 8220 ; our favorite working gear 8221 ;, so I 8217 ; ve decided to compile a list of my 8220 ; must have 8221 ; Sony a7S accessories which I frequently use in the field .
For me , a good cage is one that can seamlessly 8220 ; blend 8221 ; into the camera without interrupting when using it . Furthermore , it should enhance some of the camera functionalities and compensate on its weaknesses . ( securing an HDMI cable is a good example ).
My preferred cage at the moment comes from a Korean company named Motion9. In such a crowded market , this cage does a good job supporting the camera . ( mind you that we at cinema5D are working on a comprehensive Sony A7s cage review that will be published later this year ).
- Easy and secure attachment of Sony 8217 ; s XLR K2m , K1m or Sony 8217 ; s UWP - D11 wireless receiver
- Securing HDMI and audio cables is excellent with adjustable clamp .
- Removable top handle
- Support button on the cage to help removing lenses
- All cage adjustments require tools ( Allen keys )
- The cage is very tight on the camera and removing it requires a great amount of time
- Attaching / detaching motion9 8217 ; s 8220 ; ROD RISER 8221 ; ( a 15mm rods support attachment ) is a very painful process
In this category I would like to point out 2 outstanding products / solutions . The Vizelex ND Throttle Adapter for Canon EF / EF - S Lenses to Sony NEX Cameras from Fotodiox and XUME lens adapter .
The Vizelex ND Throttle Adapter is simply a genius solution !. Forget screwing / unscrewing a variable ND filter in - front of your lens every time you change one . With this solution the variable ND filter is behind your lens so managing the filter between different lenses is not an issue .
The XUME on the other hand , is a great solution if you have a good variable ND filter and several electronic / manual lenses . With the XUME you just screw a magnetic ring onto your ND filter and another magnetic lens adapter ring on all of your lenses and voila !, you can move your ND filter between lenses in a fast , convenient and secure way . Note : Be sure to choose the correct lens diameter , otherwise you won 8217 ; t be able to use the wide angle side of the lens as it will appear in your frame
One of the great things with the Sony A7s is its audio capability . After years of using external audio recorders and later syncing audio in post , there comes this camera and changes it all . Its general audio quality is good but if you are really looking for a way to take your sound set - up one step further , use one of Sony 8217 ; s audio XLR adapters . ( XLR - K1M , XLR - K2M ). For my documentary work I use the XLR - K2M . It is cheaper and gets the same results as its more expensive brother .
- Easy to use
- Significantly expands the camera audio capability
- 8220 ; Wireless 8221 ; solution
- Allows 8220 ; Auto audio level 8221 ; when needed . ( not possible without the attachment )
- When connected to the camera , you probably won 8217 ; t be able to attach a cage handle to your cage ( XLR - K2M )
- Because of the nature of direct hot - shoe connectivity , time will tell if it 8217 ; s becomes faulty after extensive usage
The supplied Sony A7s camera batteries are just OK . ( I guess this is why Sony decided to ship the camera with 2 original ones ). The batteries weakness becomes more obvious when the XLR - K1M or K2M sound attachment is connected to the camera especially when 8220 ; Phantom power 8221 ; is turned 8220 ; on 8221 ;. The way I solved this problem is by using 8220 ;IndiPRO Tools 8221 ; powering solution and in particular the IndiPRO Tools POWER POD Quad. If you are like me and also have many unused Canon LP - 6 batteries lying around , then this is the perfect modestly priced solution for you too . Together with the IndiPRO Tools 69SA7 ( A7s dummy battery ), your camera will run forever .
- Can fit on the camera , on a cage or the back of your rig
- Buy the battery solution once and then according to the camera you want to power , choose the 8220 ; dummy battery 8221 ; you need
- Lasts forever
- A smaller dual battery version exists . (IndiPRO Tools POWER POD Dual)
I travel a lot for work , so for me the most important thing when it comes to choosing a slider is a lightweight design , portability , length and its travel smoothness that should have some resistance . After testing many different models , I went back to my simple slider from Glidetrack . It 8217 ; s 60cm long ( 25 8221 ;), very durable and extremely easy to use . Somehow , the rubber parts on the carriage ( the ones who are touching the slider ), probably got dry so the result is more resistance during travel 8230 ;
& nbsp ;
& nbsp ;
I 8217 ; m not sure how many of you have heard the name 8220 ;Really Right Stuff 8220 ;. It is a US based family company which produces very high quality tripods , sliders and such . I can best describe their products as the 8220 ; Apple equivalent 8221 ; of the tripod world . Expensive , desirable and it simply works .
For a long time I was looking for a small high quality tripod that could accompany me in my journeys without sacrificing flexibility . It had to be lightweight , strong , go high / low enough if needed and most importantly , the fluid head must be perfect . I was very happy to see that most of my wishes got fulfilled with the 8220 ; Really Right Stuff 8221 ; tripod . Please note , that their quickset / tripod adapter plate is not the common market standard . It will require adjusting to the new system and that can be costly .
- The ability to move the fluid head to lets say slider , in a flip of a knob
- Robust yet lightweight and very portable
- Tilt rang - 90 to + 90 degris
- Great easy to use secure clamp lever
- Not a standard tripod plate
- No illuminated balance bulb
- Vertical movement tension ( tilt damping ) is located in the 8220 ; wrong 8221 ; right hand side .
Sony a7S accessories are currently in high demand and sales are booming . Video equipment of course always is the personal preference of a cameraman . Let us know in the comments : What are your favourite Sony A7S Accessories ?