If you, like me, travel a lot and are in need for a mobile storage/editing device, why not consider a pocket SSD? They are very robust, rather large in capacity and fast enough to help with all your mobile editing needs. I first came across the name Angelbird over a year ago, and have since then found that this relatively small Austrian company is very dedicated in bringing unique mobile storage devices tailored to our filmmaking needs. I must confess that when I was first offered to test the Angelbird 512GB SSD2GO PKT I was a bit hesitant. After all, it is not every day that a manufacturer asks me to try to destroy what they sent me…
For the last few months, the Angelbird PKT has been a trusted companion and a reliable mobile storage device for my on-the-go editing needs. The files from the Sony a7SII (XAVC S) and Blackmagic Ursa Mini (ProRes) always played flawlessly when paired with my MacBook Pro (Retina 2012) running the latest edition of Adobe Premiere CC. Also, don’t be fooled by the shiny hard anodized surface case of this pocket SSD. Although it will get damaged/scratched when sustaining a hit, your valuable data will stay perfectly safe!
Pros of the Angelbird 512GB SSD2GO PKT: (in no particular order)
- Good capacity to start with (up to 512GB)
- Well protected USB 3.1 type C connector
- Very small and lightweight
- Extremely robust and can sustain the majority of potential hazards mobile editing drives might face.
- Read Speeds up to 560 MB/s (official manufacturer measurements)
- Write Speeds up to 460 MB/ (official manufacturer measurements). For full Read/Write speeds, use the supplied Type C to Type C USB 3.1 cable
Cons of the Angelbird 512GB SSD2GO PKT:
- In terms of operation or connectivity, I found there were no issues whatsoever while conducting the review or while working with this pocket SSD for the last few months.
- On the higher side of the price spectrum if you compare it to some other pocket storage devices like the Samsung T3 SSD, but bear in mind that the Samsung is not equally robust.
Finding a pocket SSD which performs well and is tough enough to be used in everyday’s mobile editing missions is not an easy task. When it comes to small size, the Samsung 500GB T3 SSD might be sufficient for some. For others, the reliable and affordable G-Technology G-DRIVE ev might be the solution, although its spinning drive is no match for an SSD.
But for anyone else who is looking for the combination of speed, mobility and toughness, the Angelbird 512GB SSD2GO PKT is a no-brainer, and will certainly find a warm place in many professionals’ editing equipment bag.
You can get the Angelbird 512GB pocket SSD from B&H by clicking here
For our European readers, you can purchase Angelbird’s 512GB pocket SSD from Amazon by clicking here