On YouTube, you can watch a free comprehensive in-depth Sony FX9 tutorial by our friend and colleague Alister Chapman. It is a 3.5 hours long video filmed during Vocas Sony FX9 days in the Netherlands. Alister Chapman talks about various features of the camera. I can recommend watching the video if you are thinking about investing in the new Sony camera.
Sony’s new full-frame cinema camera Sony FX9 has been introduced during this year’s IBC show in Amsterdam. Make sure to check our initial announcement article, as well as exclusive hands-on video with the Sony FX9 by Nino.
Sony PXW-FX9 Tutorial
During Vocas Sony PXW-FX9 days in the Netherlands, Sony independent certified expert Alister Chapman delivered a detailed comprehensive FX9 tutorial. The whole video of this useful tutorial has been published to Youtube by Vocas. It includes over 3.5 hours of detailed information about the camera.
This Youtube video is packed with information and therefore of course very long – the total length is 3:39 hours (219 minutes). Thankfully, the video has clickable timestamps, so even if you are only interested in certain aspect of the Sony FX9, you can find the right part of the video easily. These timestamps unfortunately don’t work in Youtube mobile app, but you can still find the right part manually based on the timecode.
The video is divided into following chapters:
- 1:12 Start of presentation by Alister, introductions
- 3:54 Start looking at FX9
- 4:49 FX9 Highlights
- 5:57 XDCA-FX9 Extension
- 6:37 Does it replace the FS7/FS7 II?
- 7:30 E-mount lens mount, why/advantages
- 12:33 Using Lens adapters
- 13:07 Sony E-mount lenses
- 14:04 FX9 with kit lens
- 16:02 Choosing a lens for autofocus
- 20:08 What about 3rd party lenses?
- 24:17 Variable ND filter
- 40:04 The new full-frame sensor – downsampling, S35, dynamic range, look
- 1:04:02 Comparing Venice and FX9 look
- 1:13:47 S-Cinetone and new colourscience
- 1:27:32 Cine-EI
- 1:39:30 LUT’s
- 1:49:23 Dual Base ISO
- 2:10:18 Shutter speed vs Angle
- 2:13:45 Future RAW output & other features / roadmap
- 2:24:27 Sensor scan modes
- 2:28:43 Planning metadata
- 2:29:47 Lenses clarification for autofocus
- 2:32:20 Viewfinder
- 2:33:50 Autofocus to die for
- 3:09:32 What else can it do? (intro)
- 3:09:49 Slow & Quick motion
- 3:10:22 Post production image stabilization
- 3:15:31 Picture cache recording
- 3:17:47 Interval recording
- 3:20:22 4K and HD sub recording
- 3:21:09 Proxy recording
- 3:23:00 Wifi connectivity, remote control & viewing
- 3:24:39 4 channels of audio
- 3:25:42 Timecode in/out
- 3:25:57 HDMI & SDI connections
- 3:26:23 Weather sealing
- 3:27:46 New handgrip
- 3:28:33 Press & hold to change modes
- 3:29:09 Direct menu
- 3:30:18 Anamorphic support
- 3:31:40 New Sony lenses
- 3:32:58 Final Q & A
Sony PXW-FX9 Price and Availability
Sony FX9 can be pre-ordered now. While shipping will only officially start later in the month, we already seeing a small number of people and rental houses getting their hands on their production units. Price for the body only has been set to around $11,000 in the US and around €11,000 in Europe. The camera can also be bought in a kit set with Sony FE PZ 28-135mm f/4 G OSS lens.
What do you think about the Sony FX9? Are you planning to upgrade to this full-frame cinema camera? Do you find this in-depth tutorial useful? Let us know in the comments underneath the article.