FUJIFILM has released a firmware update for the FUJIFILM X-T3 that improves autofocus performances of the mirrorless camera. According to the company, FUJIFILM’s X-T3 firmware update v4.00 will now bring similar autofocus performance as with the X-T4, thanks to a new algorithm. Let’s take a closer look at it!
FUJIFILM X-T3 Firmware Update v4.00
The FUJIFILM X-T3 came out in September 2018 (our review here), and even after the release of the X-T4 in February 2020 (our review here), it’s nice to see that the company still releases firmware updates to improve one of the best mirrorless cameras in the market.
The FUJIFILM X-T3 firmware update v4.00 has just landed and brings a couple of autofocus improvements to the camera. According to FUJIFILM, “the update will improve the autofocusing performance of the X-T3 to the same level as the FUJIFILM X-T4”, which sounds impressive.
Below are all the details of this firmware update:
- The fastest AF speed has been improved from 0.06 seconds to 0.02 seconds, equivalent to the performance of the X-T4.
- The algorithm for predicting subject movements has been updated.
- AF tracking performance has been doubled. Press the shutter button halfway down when a subject is in the focus area to maintain focus on the subject with a higher accuracy level.
- The Face Tracking / Eye AF performance has been upgraded. The algorithm has been re-written to double the tracking performance of the Eye AF in continuous shooting modes.
- The update allows the camera’s AF to work in low light levels down to -7EV, facilitating fast and highly accurate phase-detection AF even in near darkness.
- The new firmware adds the “Focus Limiter” function, which gives a pre-defined specific focus range.
- The size of the Single AF point can be adjusted during video recording.
- Photo ratings can be read by third-party software, allowing users to find their favorite pictures quickly.
- The focus lever can change the focus point during the AE lock.
- The default setting of the AF-S PRIORITY SELECTION in the RELEASE/FOCUS PRIORITY of the SHOOTING menu is changed to FOCUS from RELEASE.
- Fix of minor bugs.
All these updates are much welcome, and not firmware crippling a camera is a really smart move from FUJIFILM. The FUJIFILM X-H1 also received a firmware update version 2.11 that fixes a couple of minor bugs.
Price and Availability
These firmware updates are available now, free of charge. You can download the FUJIFILM X-T3 firmware update v4.00 by clicking here, and the latest FUJIFILM X-H1 firmware here.
What do you think about this firmware update? Are you still shooting with your X-T3, or did you upgrade to the X-T4? Don’t hesitate to let us know in the comments below!