Grass Valley has just released an update to its Windows-only editing software: EDIUS X 10.20. This update includes numerous new features like ProRes RAW color space selection, background file conversion in Bin, faster processing, and H.264 file export leveraging NVIDIA GPU. Let’s take a closer look at it!
EDIUS, which is now called EDIUS X since version 10.0 that was released in September 2020, is a Windows-only editing software that’s been around for more than 20 years now. While it is mostly used in broadcast environments, the software slowly made its path in the corporate and independent filmmakers market.
With this new EDIUS X 10.20 update, the company worked hard to improve the performance of its software and bring new features for ProRes RAW shooters.
EDIUS X 10.20 – What’s new?
This new EDIUS X 10.20 version includes numerous changes, new features, and improvements, including:
- Added a warning message when attempting overwriting a file that EDIUS has already opened.
- Reduced occurrence of “Not Responding” during launching when third-party plug-ins take time to initialize.
- Support to show metadata of MOV/MP4 files at the Metadata view of Bin window.
- Added a feature to change decoding color space on ProRes RAW clip.
- Support Apple ProRes RAW files shot by Panasonic DC-S1H with Atomos Ninja V.
- Support to import XAVC v2.0 8K files.
- Support to import RED files from Amazon S3 (only EDIUS Cloud).
- Support files shot by Canon EOS-1D X Mark III and EOS R5 with “RAW (Light)” or “IPB (Light)” recording option.
- Support MXF file profile selection in MXF exporter settings to export MXF files compatible with 3rd party systems like media asset manager or playout server.
- Support NVIDIA GPU hardware encoding on H.264/AVC exporter. It cannot export interlaced nor 10bit depth clips.
- Modified to generate a new file name when opening the Voice Over dialog.
- Added a feature to GV Job Monitor that opens the location of an exported file in File Explorer.
- Improved performance of waveform cache file generation.
- On-Screen Display supports to display timeline timecode, source timecode, and user bit simultaneously.
- Improved performance of H.265 software decoder.
- Support Bin file conversion to various formats.
- Bin file conversion keeps the original clip’s color space.
- Bin file conversion is processed in the background.
- Support preserving sRGB, DCI-P3, and P3-D65 color spaces when importing and exporting MOV and MP4 files.
- Support to import a file whose color space is one of the following Display P3 series: P3-D65/sRGB, P3-D65/HLG, and P3-D65/PQ.
- Integrated GV Job Monitor into EDIUS GUI as a tab in Palette Window.
- Added export option to register exported files into the Bin automatically.
- Support to export MP3 audio files.
- Floating License Server supports Windows Server 2019. Windows Server 2012R2 is now unsupported.
- Improved performance of operations for a timeline that contains lots of clips.
- Improved performance of rendering for nested sequence.
As you can see, there are a lot of new features – if you’re working with ProRes RAW, H.264/H.265 files, you’ll greatly benefit from this update.
Price and availability
All EDIUS X users receive the update to version 10.20 free of charge, and it is available to download now from EDIUS’ website here. EDIUS X retails for $499.00/€459.00.
What do you think of this EDIUS X 10.20 update? What feature do you find the most useful? Did you already try EDIUS X? Don’t hesitate to let us know in the comments below!