Here’s an interesting solution for a portable, protective case for your camera gear and laptop. The Pelican Progear S115 is a hybrid of a hard case and a padded backpack.
The backpack is waterproof, crush proof, airline carry on size and carries up to a 17″ laptop.
Here’s the specification:
• Built-In Watertight, Crushproof Case
• Top-Loading, Fast Access – TSA Ready & Under Seat Convenient
• Slim case for use with Ultrabook™ laptops up to 15″, also 17″ Apple® laptops
• Watertight to 1 meter for 30 min* – O-Ring Gasket Sealed
• Pressure Equalization Valve – Prevents Vacuum Lock
• Large sized padded divider compartment – Holds multiple bodies, lenses, flash, etc.
• Rigid front plate protects camera gear from impact
• Large side pockets keep charge cords and accessories organized
• Quick-clip side straps allow attachment of full sized tripods
• Three airmesh lid organizer pockets for fragile accessories
• Chest clip and removable hip belt
• Floating ergonomic lumbar/shoulder strap design and ventilated back panel
*Case portion only. Backpack is not watertight.
Case Interior (L x W x D)
15.15″ x 10.40″ x 1.00″ (38.5 x 26.4 x 2.5 cm)
Exterior (L x W x D)
18.50″ x 13.00″ x 10.00″ (47 x 33 x 25.4 cm)
Padded Divider Interior (L x W x D)
16.0″ x 11.0″ x 5.0″ (40.6 x 27.9 x 12.7 cm)
This would be perfect for the travelling independent shooter. It offers more protection for your gear than a conventional backpack, but not as heavy or bulky as a hard case.
I myself travel for work, and in the past have used a trusty Pelican 1510; it’s great as it’s the perfect size for carry on and provides you with a decent amount of space for camera gear (fits DSLR with sound, monitor, 8 lenses, light etc.) but it doesn’t house a laptop, which can cause issues if you’re travelling with cheaper airlines and only have one carry on allowance. It also weighs over 5kgs on it’s own (17kg filled up!) which can be another problem with some airlines.
The S115 Pro Pack offers the same size and similar protection, but with added portability and laptop compartment. Whilst it doesn’t look the most comfortable of backpacks, I think it’s features are sure to make it a good seller.
Additional product images and purchase available now from B&H