SIGMA and SmallRig has announced a co-development for the production of a camera cage for the SIGMA fp series cameras, including the latest electronic viewfinder.
The press release states the partnership has “exclusively produced” a camera cage by SmallRig for the SIGMA fp series cameras. 3 SmallRig package numbers are included, covering various combinations of accessories (with and without the electronic viewfinder for example). If you haven’t already, please make sure to check out Johnnie’s full review on the SIGMA fp and EVF-11. Now let’s get into it!
- The proof of the co-development, “Certified by SIGMA”, is engraved on the cage.
- Exclusive design that ensures SIGMA Electronic Viewfinder EVF-11’s performance and operability on SIGMA fp series cameras.
- Promises great extensibility and usability while using compatible external gadgets such as handles, monitor screen, microphone, SSD mounting brackets.
- Compatible with exclusive accessories for SIGMA fp series cameras produced by SIGMA.
- Provides superior impact protection to SIGMA fp series cameras’ body and SIGMA Electronic Viewfinder EVF-11.
The actual product mentioned is a SmallRig constructed, well-hugging camera cage. A plate at the front and grub screws in the side and bottom preventing the camera body twisting within the cage.
There are mounting threads on the top and right/front right hand side.
There is a de-attachable bracket to allow secure mounting of the new SIGMA Electronic Viewfinder EVF-11, an exclusive accessory for the SIGMA fp series cameras. Also if you are interested, check out Jakub’s article, which includes a full list of features.
You can mount a top handle, side handle to the cage, and there is a port protector clamp for the HDMI output.
The end result is a well-designed, specific camera accessory.
There are not necessarily any features that leap out, suggesting such a partnership had an integral relationship to the design of the accessory line or camera itself; other than the “certified by SIGMA” stamp, one could argue SmallRig have simply just done their job.
Some Last Thoughts
However, such announcement of a co-development is always promising – any news that camera manufacture and accessory designers are having conversations is good, it could lead onto partnerships that blossom much earlier on in the development of a camera, thus improving ergonomics from the start.
The SmallRig camera cage for SIGMA fp series cameras will pre-order early April, and pricing is yet to be announced.
Guys, what are your thoughts on this? Head on down to our comment section and let us know!