Tokina atx-i 11-16mm f/2.8 CF is a new ultra-wide-angle APS-C lens based on Tokina’s long seller – the AT-X 116 PRO DX II model. It comes in two versions to fit both Canon EF and Nikon F DSLR cameras. The lens features internal focus, water-repellent coating, one-touch focus clutch mechanism, and 77mm front filter thread. It offers overall good optical performance with a lightweight body at an affordable price – $449.
The original AT-X 116 PRO DX II 11-16mm f/2.8 lens from Tokina was the ultra-wide angle lens of choice for many filmmakers and photographers. It was a very good deal and especially filmmakers liked the lens for many reasons – it offered constant aperture f/2.8, front filter thread, lightweight design, and a friendly price tag. The new Tokina atx-i 11-16mm kind of builds on its success.
Tokina atx-i 11-16mm f/2.8 CF Lens
Based on the widely popular AT-X 116 PRO DX II, the model atx-i 11-16mm F2.8 CF is designed and optimized for contemporary APS-C sensor DSLR cameras in terms of improved specifications and renovated design.
Together with its predecessor, it is the only f/2.8 fast ultra-wide-angle zoom lens for APS-C sized DSLR cameras in the current market. A constant maximum aperture of f/2.8 throughout the entire zoom range is useful for low light environments, like interiors.
To achieve improved optical performance, two aspherical glass elements and two Super-low dispersion glass elements were used in order to minimize distortion, manage spherical aberration and astigmatism while achieving good edge-to-edge resolution and contrast of the entire image. Light fall-off is well controlled at all focal lengths as well.
Anti-reflective multi-layer coating improves light transmission and minimizes reflections while water-repellent coating makes it easier to wipe and clean the surface of the front glass element.
Tokina incorporated a lot of metal parts inside the lens for a reassuring built quality and long-time utilization in different shooting conditions. The exterior design is specifically developed to match the design of contemporary DSLR cameras. The One-touch focus Clutch mechanism allows switching between autofocus and manual focus very easily. The overall length of the Tokina atx-i 11-16mm F2.8 CF does not change when focusing and zooming thanks to the internal type of focus construction.
The Tokina atx-i 11-16mm F2.8 CF for Nikon F mount incorporates internal silent focusing motor in combination with precise GMR sensor to allow the lens to AF on Nikon bodies that do not have an AF drive gear and motor.
Tokina atx-i 11-16mm Advantages for Filmmakers
Tokina especially emphasizes that the new Tokina atx-i 11-16mm F2.8 CF lens qualifies as a very good ultra-wide angle lens for filmmakers. The main reasons for this are:
- 77mm front filter thread for ND filters (possible vignetting at higher aperture numbers at 11mm)
- Minimized focus breathing – the subject framing does not show any change with focus adjustment.
- Natural footage – the image is not distorted while panning due to almost zero distortion performance.
- Constant aperture to use the zoom while filming.
- Good lens for gimbal use – since the overall length does not change thanks to the internal type of focusing, there is no need to do gimbal calibration every time the angle of view was changed. It is also lightweight.
- Sensor size: APS-C
- Mount: Canon EF, Nikon F
- Color: Black
- Focal length: 11-16mm
- Aperture: f/2.8 – f/22
- Automatic aperture: Yes
- Angle of view: 104°-82°
- Minimum focusing distance: 0.3m
- Macro ratio: 1:11.6
- Focusing mode: Automatic
- Manual focusing ring: Yes
- Autofocus switch: Clutch ring
- Focusing type: Internal focus
- Filter size: 77mm
- Coating: Multi-coating
- Construction E/G: 13 elements in 11 groups
- Aperture blades: 9
- Dimensions: 84 x 89mm (Nikon F), 84 x 92mm (Canon EF)
- Weight: 555g
- Included in the box: front lens cap, instructions manual, lens hood, rear lens cap, warranty sheet
Price and Availability
The new Tokina atx-i 11-16mm is now available for pre-order. Shipping should begin on November 8, 2019. Similar to the original 11-16mm from Tokina, the price is again very friendly. It has been set to $449.
What do you think about the new Tokina atx-i 11-16mm f/2.8 lens? Do you have experience with the original Tokina 11-16mm? How did you like the lens? Let us know in the comments underneath the article.