Blackmagic Design is continuously working hard to improve its BMPCC 4K and BMPCC 6K video cameras, and they now released a new firmware update: Blackmagic Camera Setup 6.6. This update unlocks a couple of new recording modes, a built-in camera horizon tool, improvements to the autofocus performances, and many other features. Let’s take a closer look at it!
Blackmagic Camera Setup 6.6
Blackmagic Design has now announced a new firmware update for its BMPCC 4K and 6K models called Blackmagic Camera Setup 6.6. This firmware update improves a lot of features on both Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Cameras including:
- Added support for Blackmagic Pocket Battery Grip. The Battery Grip was announced during NAB 2019, and support up to two Sony NP-F style batteries for extended battery life.
- Added support for language localization.
- Added support for built-in camera horizon tool. This feature is useful for making sure your camera is perfectly level.
- Added support for pinch to zoom up to 8x magnification.
- USB PTP control support.
- You now can type in customized frame guide ratios; you have no limit anymore to the built-in ones.
- It has improved autofocus performance.
Blackmagic Camera Setup 6.6 for BMPCC 4K Users
Now for BMPCC 4K users only, you have access to a bunch of new features:
- New anamorphic recording mode: 2.8K 4:3 2880 x 2160 recording in Blackmagic RAW up to 80 fps for anamorphic lenses.
- Additional recording modes: 4K 2.4:1 4096 x 1712 in Blackmagic RAW up to 75 fps. Also, you can record in Blackmagic RAW in 2.6K 2688 x 1512 at up to 120 fps, which is suitable for Super16mm lenses.
- It now supports a 2x de-squeeze preview when recording 4K 4:3. Also, if you are using 1.33x anamorphic lenses, there is a 1.33x de-squeeze preview.
- You can now embed custom 3D LUTs in Blackmagic RAW clips as metadata.
- Added common off-speed frame rate options above slider when changing frames. Added common ISO options above slider when changing ISO settings.
- You now can monitor voltage levels when powering via the 12V DC connector.
A lot of the improvements for the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K are “anamorphic oriented”. Indeed, the BMPCC 4K features a smaller sensor compared to the 6K version. Also, the BMPCC 4K can be used with more lenses due to the MFT lens mount.
Blackmagic Camera Setup 6.6 RAW Improvements
Finally, Blackmagic Design improved the Blackmagic RAW plugins for Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro. The plugins should now be more stable and more efficient. Last but not least, Blackmagic worked on CUDA general performance and stability improvements.
Pricing and Availability
The Blackmagic Camera Setup 6.6 is a free firmware update. It is available now, and you can download it on Blackmagic Design’s website here.
What do you think of this new firmware update? Will these features help you in the field? What are the features you are still waiting for? Let us know in the comments!