Blackmagic released new DaVinci Resolve 16.1.2 which improves performance and addresses a few issues based on customer feedback. For example, it now brings support for CUDA based R3D with the latest RED SDK on Windows and Linux (shortly after RED announced the release of the SDK). The update is free for existing customers and can be downloaded from the Blackmagic support center website.
DaVinci Resolve, Blackmagic’s powerful color grading tool, has also become a very capable editing software in its latest generations. It depends on the complexity of each project, but in many cases, DaVinci can support the whole post-production process (also thanks to its Fusion page for effects and Fairlight page for sound). Blackmagic released a new version of DaVinci Resolve 16.1.2. What is new?
DaVinci Resolve 16.1.2
According to Blackmagic, the new version improves performance and addresses a few issues based on customer feedback. Like always, Blackmagic recommends to back up all active databases and current projects before upgrading to this release.
It seems after RED announced Metal GPU R3D acceleration for Mac users, the CUDA acceleration for Windows and Linux users follows shortly after it in the new DaVinci Resolve.
These are the new features and improvements in DaVinci Resolve 16.1.2:
- Support for additional audio track formats for IMF and DCP renders
- Improved decode and encode performance for Kakadu DCP and IMF formats
- Support for CUDA based R3D with the latest RED SDK on Windows and Linux
- Adds Blackmagic RAW support for latest Blackmagic URSA Broadcast update
- Support for new audio-only and video-only editing modes on the cut page
- Added in and out buttons in the user interface on the cut page
- Support for audio playback when trimming on the cut and edit pages
- Improved zoom buttons for the timeline on the edit page
- Improved smart indicator in the cut page for when using in and out points
- Viewer resize icon on the cut page now correctly resizes the whole viewer
- Cut page divider between timeline and viewer can now be moved via the divider
- Close up edits in the cut page now vary the close up from 20% to 40% randomly
- Search dial is more responsive when using the DaVinci Resolve Editor Keyboard
- Removed auto jog mode on scroll with the DaVinci Resolve Editor Keyboard
- Better responsiveness using shuttle with the DaVinci Resolve Editor Keyboard
- Double press to clear in and out on the DaVinci Resolve Editor Keyboard
- Improved performance in collaborative projects with multiple DaVinci systems
- Support for monitor name in the workspace menu display options
- Support for copy/paste in Dolby Vision mid-tone offset values between clips
- New scripting APIs to move media items, LUTs, markers, copy grades and more
- Now uses 2 up view in sync bin when using live overwrite editing
- Fixes a bug that caused the clip dividers in the source tape to scroll with audio
- Opening the media folder in the cut page will re-sync to that folder contents
- Multiple performance and stability improvements
The enormous reference manual, which includes the new DaVinci Resolve 16.1.2 features, can be downloaded from the Blackmagic Design website. The version 16.1.2 is a no-charge update for existing customers. It comes in both DaVinci Resolve (free software) and DaVinci Resolve Studio (paid software). DaVinci Resolve can be downloaded from the Blackmagic support center website.
What do you think of this new update? Do you work with DaVinci Resolve? Are some of the fixed bugs familiar to you? Let us know in the comments underneath the article.