The recently released firmware update for the Canon C300 Mark II includes a couple of nice operational improvements as well as enhanced lens compatibility. Most importantly, however, it introduces of the new Canon Log 3 Gamma.
A lot has been discussed about the capabilities of the Canon C300 Mark II. Sebastian’s findings in the lab published back in September opened up a debate about the actual usable dynamic range of the camera, which the manufacturer clarified in November.
At NAB 2016, we had the pleasure of talking to Larry Thorpe, Senior Fellow at Canon, who talked to us about the upcoming improvements to the camera and the introduction of Canon Log 3.
Watch this interview here in case you missed it:
Well, July has come and gone, and the Canon firmware update is finally here. Here is a quick look at what version 18.104.22.168.00 has to offer.
In addition to the new Canon Log 3 profile and low-light improvements for the existing Canon Log 2, operational improvements include magnification during recording and enhanced menu operations, retaining some settings when changing things such as frame rate.
There are also many lens compatibility enhancements, including (from Canon’s press release):
The following features are enabled when these lenses are attached: CN7x17 KAS S/E1*3, CN-E18-80mm T4.4 L IS KAS S or CN20x50 IAS H/E1*3.
– Enables autofocus using the Dual Pixel CMOS AF function. (Not applicable to the CN20x50 IAS H/E1 lens)
– Enables the joystick on the camera’s grip unit to be set to operate the zoom.
– Enables control of iris to be set to manual operation, and control of focus, zoom and iris using the separately-sold Remote Controller RC-V100.
– Enables automatic aperture and push auto iris functions.
– Enables retrieval of metadata, such as the model name and the focal distance of the lens attached, and display of metadata on the camera,
Enables Dual Pixel Function when these lenses are attached: CN7x17 KAS S/E1 lens, CN-E18-80mm T4.4 L IS KAS S lens or any of the EF cinema prime lenses.
Adds peripheral illumination/chromatic aberration correction for the following lenses:
– COMPACT-SERVO lenses: CN-E18-80mm T4.4 L IS KAS S
– CINE-SERVO lenses: CN20x50 IAS H/E1
– EF lenses: EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM and EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.
Similar lens-related improvements have also been added to a new firmware update for the Canon C100 Mark II, although unfortunately no Canon Log 3. You can find the upgrade and installation guide for the C300 Mark II here.
Also be aware that there is a new handbook for the camera available in the download section in PDF form.
Have you upgraded yet? How is that shiny new Canon Log 3 working out for you so far? Let us know in the comments below!