As announced in September 2018, SIGMA is expanding its portfolio of full-frame T1.5 cinema prime lenses. While both, the 40mm and 105mm lenses already came out during the end of last year, soon it is time for SIGMA’s 28mm T1.5 lens to become available. It will be shipping in mid-March 2019, at $3,499.00 for the regular version and $4,499.00 for the fully luminous (FL) version.
SIGMA 28mm T1.5 FF Cinema Lens
The SIGMA 28mm T1.5 FF Cine is a fast and sharp T1.5 wide-angle lens, compatible with full-frame camera sensors and optimized for ultra-high-resolution of 8K image acquisition. The lens features a 180° focus rotation and is available in EF, E and PL mount with a lens support foot and cap included.
An individual inspection of every single lens occurs with a A1 proprietary Modulation Transfer Function (MTF) measuring system, using 46-megapixel Foveon direct image sensors. Even previously undetectable high-frequency details are now within the scope of their quality control inspections.
This new lens is available in PL, EF or E-mount. Additionally, the Mount Conversion Service allows users to convert their SIGMA PL mount lenses to and from Canon EF and Sony E-mounts (paid service).
Computer-based ray tracing has been used from the design stage onward to minimize flare and ghosting and enhance contrast in backlit conditions. Ghosting has also been checked at every prototype stage, with its causes identified, assessed and eliminated. Color balance is standardized across the line for easier color correction.
The new SIGMA Cine lenses feature a 100% metal, dust-proof and splash-proof construction, with each ring and mount sealed to prevent water and dust from entering. Luminous paint enhances the visibility of all the information on the lens body, while laser engraving enhances durability.
SIGMA 28mm T1.5 FF Cine – Key Specs
- focal length: 28mm
- aperture: T1.5 to T16
- number of diaphragm blades: 9 (rounded diaphragm)
- close focus (measured from the image plane): 0.30m (1′)
- image coverage: FF Φ43.3
- front diameter: 95mm
- filter size: 82mm
- length (front to flange): 107.7mm (EF mount), 133.7mm (E-mount), 99.7mm (PL mount)
- weight (without lens support foot): 1300g/45.85oz (EF mount), 1360g/47.97oz (E-mount), 1210g/42.68oz (PL mount)
- horizontal angle of view for a full-frame camera aperture (aspect ratio 1:1.5, dimensions 36 mm × 24 mm / 1.42″ × 0.94″): 65.5°
- horizontal angle of view for a super 35 digital cinema camera aperture (aspect ratio 1:1.8, dimensions 24.6 mm x 13.8 mm / 0.97″ × 0.54″): 47.4°
- horizontal angle of view for an APS-C camera aperture (aspect ratio 1:1.5,dimensions 23.7 mm × 15.7 mm / 0.93″ × 0.62″): 45.9°
SIGMA’s 28mm T1.5 FF will be available in mid-March 2019 for $3,499.00 for the regular version and $4,499.00 for the fully luminous (FL) version. The lens is available both with feet markings and metric markings. In addition, SIGMA is now offering a five-piece case that can hold the 14mm, 28mm, 40mm, 105mm and 135mm Cine lenses for safe transportation of the gear. This new case will be available for purchase in mid-March too, for $750.00.
Have you worked with SIGMA cinema primes? What do you think of the optical quality? Let us know in the comments underneath the article.