Leica has announced an update to its compact, sleek mirrorless line. Like its predecessor, the Leica TL2 sports an APS-C sized sensor, but takes a moderate step forward in the video market by offering up to 4K 30p.
In typical Leica fashion, the new TL2 mirrorless camera oozes class in its aesthetic design. Built from a single block of aluminium, it features sleek chamfered edges and fancy pop out strap locators – it’s a thing of beauty.
The previous TL was a medium-performing APS-C mirrorless camera. Compact, touchscreen, pop-up flash, 1080p video.
With the TL2 Leica has concentrated on user experience, increasing its speed in operation through menu support and ISO performance, removing apparent distractions with the omission of a flash and, perhaps most importantly to our readers, upgraded to 4K video.
The TL2 is very simple in design: two scroll wheels, one shutter and on programmable button. The new mirrorless camera is once again very reliant on the 3.7″ smartphone-esque touchscreen display.
Back in December 2015 we reviewed the Leica SL, the TL2’s bigger, full-frame brother – certainly a quirky camera from a video perspective.
Like the SL, the Leica TL2 features 4K up to 30p video, but this time in APS-C form. We’re interested to see how this performs and whether the increased ISO performance of the TL2 has solved any of the noise problems we encountered on the SL.
The Leica TL2 has a faster processor that enables higher-resolution video as well as providing photographers with faster, more accurate auto focus, the aforementioned ISO performance and faster menu navigation.
The top hot shoe will give viewers access to an external viewfinder or flash if required. Like the TL, the Leica TL2 relies only on an in-built microphone for audio.
It does, however, have HDMI output via a type D (micro) port, and a USB-C connector allows fast data transfer and direct battery charging.
The TL uses Leica’s L-mount system, a growing line of compact glass which currently includes 23mm f/2, 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4 and 60mm f/2.8 macro primes, and 11-23mm f/3.5-4.5, 18-56mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-135mm f/3.5-4.5, 90-280mm f/2.8-4 and 24-90mm f/2.8-4 zooms.
Leica M-series and R-series are also available through adaption.
Leica TL2 – Tech Specs
- Lens Mount: Leica L
- Camera Format: APS-C (1.5x Crop Factor)
- Pixels: 24.96 Megapixel (actual) 24.24 Megapixel (effective)
- Max Resolution 24 MP: 6016 x 4014
- Sensor Type/Size: CMOS, 23.6 x 15.7 mm
- File Formats for Still Images: DNG, JPEG
- Movies: MP4
- Memory Card Type: SDXC/SDHC/SD
- Image Stabilization: None
- Video Recording: NTSC
- Video Format: 3840 x 2160p at 30 fps, 1920 x 1080p at 60 fps, 1280 x 720p at 60 & 120 fps
- Video Clip Length: Up to 29 Minutes
- Audio Recording: Built-In Mic (Stereo)
- Focus Mode: Continuous-Servo AF (C), Manual Focus (M), Single-servo AF (S), Touch AF & Shutter
- Autofocus Points Contrast Detection: 49
- Display Screen: 3.7″ Touchscreen LCD (1,300,000)
- ISO Sensitivity: Auto, 100-50000
- Shutter: Electronic 30 – 1/40000, Mechanical 30 – 1/4000
- White Balance Modes: Auto, Cloudy, Daylight, Flash, Halogen, Manual, Shade
- Continuous Shooting: Up to 20 fps at 24 MP for up to 29 frames, up to 7 fps at 24 MP for up to 29 frames
- Flash: None
- External Flash Connection: Hot Shoe
- Internal Memory: 32GB
- Connectivity: HDMI D (Micro), USB Type-C
- Wi-Fi Capable: Yes
- Battery: BP-DC13, 7.2 VDC, 985 mAh
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 5.3 x 2.7 x 1.3″ / 134.0 x 69.0 x 33.0 mm
- Weight: 12.52 oz / 355 g without battery
You can currently pre-order the Leica TL2 using the links below, in both black and silver colour.