Ribcage RX0 is a modified Sony RX0 with passive micro four thirds (MFT) lens mount and removable IR-cut filter. Suitable for manual MFT and (via enclosed adapter) C-Mount lenses. Available for pre-order now, it should start shipping during the beginning of March.
Back-Bone Gear is a Canadian company that specializes in producing modifications for action cameras. They are offering modified models of GoPro cameras or Yi action cameras as well, where they take out the original fisheye lens and add a lens mount for small M12 or C-Mount lenses. Recently they added the Sony RX0 modification to their portfolio, which they simply call Ribcage RX0. The modification adds a Micro four thirds (MFT) lens mount to this compact camera.
Here is a quick roundup of the Sony RX0 specs:
- 1” 15,3 MPx CMOS sensor
- 4K UHD over HDMI out for uncompressed external recording
- internally 1080p 24/25/30/50/60fps, 720p/120fps
- Ultra slow motion up to 1000fps
- ISO 80 – 12.800
- Up to 1/32000 sec. Anti-Distortion Shutter
- S-Log 2
- 24mm (35mm equivalent) f/4 fixed aperture lens
If you are interested in seeing how the Sony RX0 performs under “documentary style shooting conditions”, head to our review by clicking here.
The added MFT lens mount is passive, which means it does not supply any power to the lens and does not allow any electronical camera-lens communication. Therefore the mount is designed for manual MFT lenses only. There is a C-Mount mounting ring included in the packaging. The lens mount can therefore be re-configured to C-Mount lenses at any time. Other adapters are not included, but the manufacturer claims it is possible to use other lenses too, with a proper adapter.
Ribcage RX0 also includes removable IR-cut filter, which allows capturing footage in certain wavelengths only (suitable for custom imaging and scientific applications).
Ribcage RX0 Specs Overview
- MFT Mount & C-Mount
- Use SLR lenses & more with optional adapters
- Tripod mount with both 1/4-20 & 3/8-16 UNC threads
- Internal filter holder & removable IR-cut filter for custom imaging applications
- Wireless or Wired multi camera control for multi-view applications
- Wifi camera control (Android / iOS)
- Control up to 5 cameras via smartphone
Ribcage RX0 Package Content
- 1 x Modified RX0 camera with MFT mount
- 1 x C-Mount ring for alternate configuration
- 1 x Tripod mounting plate with both 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 threads
- 1 x Charging cable (Micro USB) and wall plug
- 1 x Replacement IR-Cut filter
- 1 x Custom Back-Bone GOcase with divider system
- 1 x Memory card protector bracket
- 1 x Wrist Strap
- 1 x NP-BJ1 Battery
From what I understood reading the warranty disclaimer, Back-Bone Gear is offering warranty on the modification only and not on the original camera. I am not sure how it would exactly work if the camera itself broke down, as the modification would probably cause a warranty void for the manufacturer (in this case Sony). You can read the warranty terms here.
For me, this modification is quite a trade-off. You get the possibility to be much more flexible while shooting by being able to change lenses (The original RX0 camera has a 24mm f/4 fixed lens), but on the other hand, you might be losing the portability and durability of the original product.
Back-Bone Gear is currently working on producing sample footage with the modded RX0 and I’ll be curious to see how that comes out.
Price of the modded RX0 is $1,099 and Back-Bone Gear is currently accepting pre-orders. First units are expected to ship in the beginning of March.
Do you own the original Sony RX0? Do you find the modded RX0 with MFT lens mount useful? Let us know in the comments below.