Sound Devices have recently announced two new MixPre audio recorders. The MixPre-3 and MixPre-6 are targeted at podcast producers and YouTubers, but with the quality we have come to expect from a world-class company that’s become an industry standard.
When it comes to audio recorders, most Field Sound Recordists would swear on Sound Devices. They are robust, reliable and have the inputs and pre-amps to create world-class sound. Now, the company have launched a new product line, the MixPre Series of audio recorders with integrated USB audio interface. The MixPre-3 & MixPre-6 audio recorders with USB audio streaming is “perfect for musicians, podcasters, videographers and YouTubers”.
Design and Audio Inputs
The MixPre is a lightweight audio recorder made out of die-cast aluminium, and features Sound Device’s newly developed “Kashmir” pre-amps. Simply put, the difference between the two models is the amount of audio inputs. The MixPre-3 features three full-sized balanced XLR mic/line audio inputs, while the MixPre-6 features four balanced XLR/TRS combo jacks to connect microphones or line-level devices. Both have a 3.5mm auxiliary input that can be used for “plug-in power mics, 2-channel line-in audio, camera return, or timecode”.
USB for Podcasters
With the MixPre line, Sound Devices are targeting the Podcast/YouTube market. You will be able to stream the inputs over a USB connection into a computer for use in a podcast. The mixers will also feature the standard USB A connection, as well as the more future-proof USB C.
Perfect camera companion
Not only is the MixPre the perfect size to sit on your desk while you are recording a podcast, it is also designed for videographers. It includes features such as HDMI Record triggering, timecode, and a retractable 1/4-inch mounting screw, which allows it to be mounted under a DSLR camera.
The USB slot also doubles as a powering option from a computer or even a battery-pack. The MixPre Series comes standard with a AA or Li-Ion battery sled.
Basic and Advanced Settings
If you are not a sound whiz, then Sound Devices may be able to help you out, as both MixPre recorders come with Basic and Advanced modes. The Basic mode simplifies audio recording and allows users to record noise and distortion-free audio right out of the box. The Advanced mode offers access to multi-channel recording and advanced settings, such as “metering, routing, timecode, preamp gain, stereo channel linking, headphone presets and more”.
Built-In Bluetooth and the App to Save a Soundie’s Life
Here is a feature that will get the attention of soundies out there. The MixPre series come standard with Bluetooth connection. Sound Devices recently developed an app called Wingman, which connects your iOS device to the MixPre via Bluetooth, allowing you to not only adjust the recording controls, but also rename files, and enter and edit metadata.
Features in a Nutshell
- Ultra-compact and durable – the MixPre Series will fit any production environment. The MixPre’s small stature allows you to wear it, or drop it into your pocket or a tech bag. Constructed with a die-cast aluminum chassis, the MixPre Series is both lightweight and incredibly robust.
- Responsive, capacitive touch screen – it offers incredibly simple and intuitive operation, and a bright, IPS technology, sunlight-readable color LCD for the ultimate in convenient navigation.
- Full-featured mixer – equipped with ergonomic gain control knobs for fast and accurate mixing. Other key features include pan and soloing plus easy-to-see ring LED metering per channel. Also includes a 3.5mm jack for headphone monitoring with user-programmable presets from a custom-designed powerful, wide-bandwidth headphone amp.
- Built-in Bluetooth Smart® technology – allows for easy connection, control and metering via iOS devices from the Sound Devices free Wingman app.
- Intuitive operation – with user-friendly navigation featuring Basic and Advanced modes. Basic mode allows users to record noise and distortion-free audio right out of the box – intended for stereo recording applications. The Advanced mode offers more experienced audio users access to multi-channel recording and advanced settings such as ISO metering, routing, timecode, mic pre gain, stereo and Mid/Side channel linking, headphone presets and more.
- Perfect camera companion – offering HDMI Record triggering, timecode, and retractable 1/4-inch-20-thread mounting screw.
- Flexible powering – for the ultimate in portability and convenience, the MixPre’s can be powered from AA batteries, Li-Ion batteries, a laptop’s USB-C or USB-A connectors, or AC wall outlet.
The MixPre Series is available for pre-order now, with the MixPre-3 going for $649 and the MixPre-6 for $899. The MixPre line from Sound Devices is anticipated to ship by 5th May 2017.