Frame.io just introduced an update to its online collaborative workflow platform: Frame.io v3.7. This update includes the launch of the Frame.io Transfer App in full version, an FCPX workflow extension, iOS player control improvements as well as HDR playback on iOS devices. Let’s take a closer look at it!
Frame.io v3.7 – iOS Improvements
For iOS devices users, Frame.io v3.7 includes a lot of improvements to the mobile App, including:
- Like on YouTube, when you’re watching a video, you can now double-tap on the left/right side of your screen to jump forward and backward. One beautiful thing is that you can custom jump intervals from one frame to 30 minutes.
- If you drag the play head by hand, a new preview feature allows you to scrub through frame-accurate thumbnails of clips.
- The same Move-to and Copy-to features from the web app are available on iOS.
- If you’re working with HDR content, Frame.io v3.7 now supports HDR playback on all HDR-compatible iOS devices. Also, the App will tone map to SDR formats in legacy iOS devices.
- You can now upload PQ files in 2020 or P3 colorspace in any codec you want. Then, Frame.io will create a 4K 10-bit HEVC proxy file that will playback on supported iOS devices. Finally, you can AirPlay content to any HDR 10-compatible display.
All these improvements are much welcome for filmmakers on the move that are using the Frame.io iOS App.
FCPX Workflow Extension
With the latest Final Cut Pro X 10.4.9 release, Frame.io’s updated its Final Cut Pro X Workflow Extension. With this update to Frame.io’s FCPX Workflow Extension you can:
- Use H.264 in addition to ProRes to generate proxy files, in various resolutions and sizes.
- Download clips in the background and dragging them from the Frame.io extension directly into FCPX.
- Add keywords, rename clips, sort them between Events, or cut them into the timeline while the files are downloading.
If you’re a FCPX user, this workflow extension from Frame.io will probably save you quite some time.
Frame.io v3.7 – Enterprise Admin Controls
At Frame.io, security and privacy have always been a serious topic. For enterprise account users, to protect your files, you can set up safeguards that protect content and control viewing, downloading, and sharing permissions. But now, there is even more, including:
- In the Admins controls, you can now set internal watermarking configurations and manage watermark templates on a per-team basis. It prevents unauthorized users from capturing or distributing unwatermarked assets.
- Share Link creators can now adjust the position, text color, and opacity of a Watermark ID template so as not to interfere with viewing content.
- It is now possible to select which roles in your account can view, share, or download unwatermarked assets.
Frame.io Transfer App
The Frame.io Transfer App was introduced in a beta version a couple of months ago with Frame.io v3.6. This App is compatible with Windows and macOS, and it allows you to download large files, advanced folder structures, or entire projects with just one click. We’ve been using the Frame.io Transfer App for a couple of months at CineD, and it’s been a joy to use with massive time-savings.
The full version of the Frame.io Transfer App brings a couple of improvements to the table, including:
- You can upload and download large files, entire folders—or whole projects— with a single click. The App allows you to monitor progress updates, prioritize transfer job order, and configure bandwidth. xxHash checksums ensure the accuracy of a transfer.
- Desktop Notifications can be turned on, so you know when a transfer has been completed or interrupted.
- A configurable overwrite behavior handles duplicate files.
- When download permissions are enabled, recipients of Public Share Links can even download assets via Transfer without having to log in.
Price and Availability
Frame.io v3.7 is already out, and as always, all existing users get this update for free. Frame.io is an online subscription service that starts at $19 per month for a Pro membership and $49 for a Team plan. They also offer seven days trial version for free.
What do you think about this new Frame.io v3.7 update? Have you used Frame.io or similar services recently during these special times? Let us know in the comments below!