The new Metabones PL-E T CINE Speed booster ULTRA was recently announced. It uses special materials and allows you to mount PL (Positive lock) full-frame cinema lenses on E-mount Sony cameras and X-mount FUJIFILM cameras.
The new Metabones PL-E T CINE Speed Booster ULTRA features a new 5-element/4-group optical design with ultra-high index tantalum-based optical glass, which should improve corner sharpness, distortion, and reduce vignetting.
Just like the original Speed Booster, it reduces crop factor by 0.71x. Given the standard crop factor of 1.5 of most APS-C/Super35 cameras, using the new Speed Booster will result in having almost no crop at all (1.5 x 0.71 = 1.065). Remember that Speed Boosters are designed to only cover an APS-C/Super35 image circle, so on full-frame camera bodies (A7 series, NEX-VG900) the camera needs to be in “APS-C/Super35” capture mode.
The Metabones PL-E T CINE Speed Booster ULTRA only supports full-frame PL prime lenses. Super35 PL Prime lenses are not supported.
Metabones PL-E T CINE Speed Booster ULTRA – Key Features
- Designed to adapt full-frame PL Prime Lens to Sony E-mount cameras/camcorders.
- Increases maximum aperture by 1 stop.
- Makes lens 0.71x wider, effectively negating APS-C/Super35 crop factor.
- Increases MTF (Modulation Transfer Function – in other words, “the optical performance potential of a lens”).
- The interior is flocked with felt material to reduce internal reflections that can cause unwanted flares.
- The tripod foot is detachable and compatible with Arca Swiss, Markins and Photo Clam ball heads.
The new Metabones PL-E T CINE Speed Booster ULTRA should become available in the next few days. To find more information about the new Speed Booster – such as a list of already tested cameras – take a look at the official product page on the Metabones website.
Are you a Speed Booster user? Do you think this new PL-E Speed Booster will fill a gap in the market?