RED Komodo cameras are still shipping slowly, but the company has just released a new RED Komodo firmware 1.2 beta. This update includes several improvements, including a new REDCODE RAW LQ recording format, pre-record capabilities, SDI overlays, in-camera preset menu, and so on. Let’s take a closer look at it!
White (and colored) beta versions of the RED Komodo – also called Stormtroopers editions – are in the wild for a couple of months now. A few lucky filmmakers are already shooting with them, and if you missed the beta program, it is now closed. In short, this means that RED is closer than ever to fully releasing the camera in the next upcoming weeks/months.
In case you missed it, here is a quick summary of everything we know about the camera yet:
- It features a Super 35 6K sensor with global shutter as well as Phase Detect Auto Focus.
- It can record in 6K 17:9 (6144×3240) at up to 39.96 fps, 6K WS at 47.95 fps, 4K 17:9 at 59.94 fps, and 2K 17:9 at 119.88 fps. Maximum ISO is 12800.
- The RED Komodo can record internally in REDCODE RAW/R3D as well as Apple ProRes onto CFast 2.0 cards.
- The lens mount is a non-swappable Canon RF Mount that doesn’t support RF Mount lenses yet. However, you can use a Canon RF to EF lens adapter. Also, the Komodo will support anamorphic lenses in the future.
- It is powered via one or two Canon BP batteries, and there is also a DC input 12V (LEMO) port.
- There is a small built-in LCD screen with touchscreen controls on top of the camera. There is a 4K 6G or 12G SDI Out port at the back of the camera. Also, monitors such as the SmallHD Focus Pro 5″ can control the Komodo via the EXT port.
- The Komodo has internal scratch mics, a 3.5mm jack input, and a headphone jack.
- The camera can live-stream via WiFi, and you can control it via your smartphone (iOS only at the moment).
- It is a small and lightweight camera: 4 x 4 x 4″ with a bodyweight under 2lbs.
- Buttons: there is an ON/OFF switch on the side, power/status indicator, record button, tally light, menu, menu selection up/down, function set, playback, two eject buttons for batteries, media compartment open.
- Rigging: 1/4″-20 around Pogo, 4X M4 around the front of the camera, 1X M3 for focus hook.
RED continues to work hard on the camera and has just introduced a new RED Komodo firmware 1.2 that adds a couple of features to the camera.
RED Komodo Firmware 1.2 Beta
The RED Komodo Firmware 1.2 beta includes several improvements:
- SDI overlay that can be turned ON/OFF.
- A new in-camera preset menu that allows you to save as many configurations you want.
- A Pre-Record function (up to 5 seconds) which is useful for wildlife/run and gun shooters.
- A very reactive magnify option.
One of the most important new features is the REDCODE RAW LQ (Low Quality) recording format in addition to HQ/MQ modes. On a 512GB CFast 2.0 card, this REDCODE RAW LQ gives you 1 hour and 17 minutes of recording time. In MQ (Medium Quality), you get 47 minutes, and in HQ (High Quality), you get 30 minutes.
In the next firmware updates, Jarred Land and his team will be working more on the autofocus capabilities of the RED Komodo. Let’s hope that the next RED Komodo firmware update will not be a beta one and that production cameras will start shipping soon!
What do you think about this RED Komodo firmware 1.2 beta update? Are you still in the queue, waiting for your Komodo, or did you maybe switch your mind to another camera? Don’t hesitate to let us know in the comments below!