Accsoon CineEye 2S can now extend the range for wireless control of the RED Komodo using a smartphone with the RED Control app. By configuring the CineEye 2S as a wireless access point (AP), users can extend the operating range up to 100m / 333ft (unobstructed line-of-sight) for low-latency control and monitoring.
Last month, I wrote about the new Accsoon CineEye 2S wireless video transmitter that enhanced the regular CineEye 2 with an additional SDI video input that complements the existing HDMI port. Accsoon now enabled a new function on the CineEye 2S that will benefit all RED Komodo users – it extends the range of RED’s wireless camera control app. Let’s take a look at all the details.
Accsoon CineEye 2S Extends the Wireless Camera Control for RED Komodo
The RED Control app was developed to provide full control of the RED Komodo camera. When connected, users can set ISO, white balance, shutter angle, framerate, resolution, and much more using just a smartphone. The app also offers a live view from the camera. The RED Control app is available free of charge for both Android (Google Play Store link) and iOS (App Store link) devices.
While the Komodo itself has an antenna that provides a solid range over the WiFi connection, Accsoon claims to have extended this by using the CineEye 2S wireless video transmitter. Apart from creating its own WiFi network, RED’s camera can also connect to an existing network created by the CineEye 2S.
After connecting the transmitter to the camera, by configuring the CineEye 2S as a wireless access point (AP), users can extend the operating range up to 100m / 333ft (unobstructed line-of-sight). According to Accsoon, both control and monitoring features of the RED Control app should work seamlessly and with minimal latency. Accsoon made a helpful tutorial video on how to make this connection work.
Apart from enabling the RED Control app, the CineEye 2S can stream the SDI signal to other smart devices. When only monitoring is needed, you can, of course, use the Accsoon Go app that offers many useful monitoring tools like pinch to zoom, user-selectable LUTs, peaking, false color, waveform, histogram, and blue only display.
Accsoon CineEye 2S – Key Specifications
- Video input: HDMI+SDI
- Video formats supported: HDMI :1080p 23.98/24/25/29.97/30/50/59.94/60fps 1080i 59.94/60fps 720p 50/59.94/60fps 480p 59.94/60fps. SDI: 1080p 23.98/24/25/29.97/30/50/59.94/60fps
- Audio: 44.1KHz/48KHz 16bit/24bit PCM (via HDMI）
- Camera Control: Yes
- Latency: <60ms（iOS system）
- OLED: 1.3 inch OLED
- Firmware Update: Yes (via App)
- Antenna: 2 antenna
- Channel: Auto/Manual, 20 channels (dependent on local RF laws)
- Transmission Power: 17~20dBm
- Range: 150 meters (open sight, 1 transmitter to 1 phone）
- Power Supply: Sony type NP-F550, NP-F750, NP-F970 or DC（7.4～16.8V) input
- Power Consumption: 4.0 Watt (Typical)
- Mounting Hole: 1/4‘’ with ARRI style locating hole pattern
- Operating Temp: 0～45 degree-C
- Dimensions: 108mm×68.5mm×30mm
- Weight: 213g
Price and Availability
The Accsoon CineEye 2S wireless video transmitter is available now for $329 (in Europe around €274 plus VAT).
Do you use RED Komodo for your work? What do you think about the Accsoon CineEye 2S, is it a good match for the camera? Let us know in the comments section underneath the article.