Angenieux expands its anamorphic lineup by presenting the new Optimo anamorphic 42-420 mm A2S, which has a different focal length and less distortion than the 2 year old Optimo 44-440 mm. Check it out.
The lens is available in PL mount, features a 2x horizontal squeeze and is made for tough production conditions (temperature range from -20°C to +45°C).
As stated by Angenieux:
Based on the Optimo 44-440 A2S lens, which was introduced in April 2016, and after some customers’ suggestions, the new Optimo 42-420 A2S has a different focal length and has even less distortion than the 44-440, which already was minimal. The lens provides the specifications that made the Optimo 44-440 A2S lens so popular and some different image characteristics.
The resemblance between the older and new lens continues as they both implementing the same IRO technology.
The IRO technology – innovative and modular lens design
The Optimo 42-420mm A2S also features IRO (Interchangeable Rear Optics) technology, which is a modular lens design that enables different lens configurations. It was first introduced on the Optimo 44-440 A2S.
Tthanks to the IRO technology, the Optimo 42-420 A2S, with a spherical kit option, can be converted to a spherical 25-250 T3.5 zoom by swapping the rear group and appropriate rings.
By having an Interchangeable Rear Optics system (IRO) on its newest lenses, Angénieux offers the privilege to adapt the lenses to a majority of image formats.
Watch the video below to learn more about the IRO technology that is also relevant in the new Optimo Anamorphic 42-420 mm zoom lens.
Optimo 42-420 A2S Main Features
- 2:1 horizontal squeeze achieved by cylinder optics in the rear part of the lens
- Constant T4.5 across zoom range, no ramping
- Minimal breathing suitable for rack focusing
- Close Focus of (1.24m/4’1“ feet) enables extreme close-up shots
- Reduced distortion on all focal lengths and all focus distances
- Weight 16.7lbs – 7.6kg
- Precise and ergonomic focus ring with scale rotation of 320 degrees & over 40 focus marks. Interchangeable focus scale ring from feet to meters
- Available in PL mount. Easily interchangeable with PV Panavision mount
- Suited for extreme production environments (temperature range from -20°C to +45°C)
The price is yet to be announced, but it’s not going to be a rather cheap lens, since its older brother (the Angenieux Optimo Anamorphic 44-440mm) costs $75,000.