GNARBOX 2.0, software update 2.6.0 is here and it includes integration with Frame.io. The little field backup device now allows you to offload all your camera files and upload them to the cloud without a laptop. During our cinema5D Virtual Show, we had a conversation with GNARBOX’s CEO, Tim Feess, to talk about all the new features.
GNARBOX 2.0 Features
The GNARBOX 2.0 SSD is available since October 2019, and the least we can say is that this little field backup solution quickly found its way inside filmmakers’ bags all over the world. Available in three capacities – 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB – this compact device allows you to offload all your camera cards and footage directly onset, without the need for a computer.
Here is a quick sum-up of all the GNARBOX 2.0 features:
- The battery life is 3 to 6 hours. The lithium-ion battery is replaceable.
- There are two USB-C ports, a mini-HDMI port, and an SD card reader. You can use USB-C adapters, dongles, and card readers, allowing you to ingest from SD UHS-II cards, XQD-cards, CFast 2.0, and CF cards.
- When you offload a memory card, the device can do an MD5 Checksum, Smart Backup, and so on.
- GNARBOX 2.0 is dust-resistant and shockproof up to 1m, the case features a MIL-SPEC rated ruggedness.
- On the inside, there is an Intel Quad-core 2.4 GHz CPU, with an onboard Intel HD Graphics chipset and 4GB RAM.
- You can connect the GNARBOX 2.0 to your smartphone/tablet via 802.11 ac WiFi. The maximum speed is 867mbps, according to GNARBOX.
- It is compact and lightweight, with dimensions of just 6″ x 3″ x 1.16″ for a weight of 0.8lbs/375g.
- The GNARBOX 2.0 supports H.264, H.265, ProRes, MXF, and MTS video codecs. If you are shooting stills, it supports RAW, TIFF, JPG, and PNG formats. Also, you can create video proxies directly inside the device.
As you can see, the GNARBOX 2.0 SSD is a serious contender to other field backup solutions like NexttoDI and LaCie BOSS, for example. However, GNARBOX just introduced a new GNARBOX 2.0 software update 2.6.0 that takes the device to the next level.
GNARBOX 2.0 Software Update 2.6.0
The GNARBOX 2.0 software update 2.6.0 includes several new features and improvements:
- xxHash64 checksum verification option for faster speeds than MD5.
- Increased transfer speeds via USB-C, enhancing backup performance for cinema cameras by up to 5x.
- A brand new cloud upload manager experience (SafeKeep App) that improves the delivery system for sending files to Dropbox and Frame.io.
- Scaling pinch and zoom for photos.
- MHL Logs in backup settings for production asset management.
GNARBOX 2.0 was already integrated with Lightroom CC, Affinity Photo, Lumafusion, and iOS Files. With this new GNARBOX 2.0 software update 2.6.0, you no longer need to wait and manually upload all your footage to Frame.io when you’re back at the office.
Price and Availability
The GNARBOX 2.0 software update 2.6.0 is a free firmware update that will be available around mid-June from the iOS App Store and Android Google Play Store. Also, the firmware will be available for installation on GNARBOX 2.0 SSD via an over the air update.
GNARBOX 2.0 is already available for $499 (256GB), $599 (512GB), and $899 (1TB) depending on your needs.
What do you think about this GNARBOX 2.0 software update 2.6.0? Are you already using a GNARBOX 2.0 SSD? Let us know in the comments below!