Today Panasonic has finally released the long-awaited Firmware Update version 2.0. It brings many new features to this already very capable mirrorless camera. You can download the Panasonic GH5 firmware update 2.0 from here.
Panasonic GH5 Firmware Update 2.0 New Video Features
The most anticipated features in firmware 2.0 are probably the ALL-Intra codec with higher bitrates of up to 400Mbps in 10-bit 4:2:2, the 6K 4:3 anamorphic mode and the HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) color profile. However, the update also features a number of bug fixes and improvements for both the video and the photo modes. For the full list of improvements please see the Panasonic update page.
Compatibility with “LUMIX Tether” PC software
By using the LUMIX Tether software (for Windows), the camera can be fully controlled remotely (also remote shooting). LUMIX Tether can be downloaded from here.
Improved autofocus performance
- Tracking autofocus performance in video recording is improved.
- The customized AF area can be continuously displayed in [Multi AF] and [Custom Multi AF] during live-view.
- The AF area in [Multi AF] can be moved to the other edge (side, top or bottom) when it reaches one edge.
- The start point of AF lock can be set on the live view screen in advance in [AF Tracking].
An additional ALL-Intra Video Recording mode
A new 4:2:2 10-bit ALL-Intra video recording mode was added to 4K/FHD video recording, in 4K with a bitrate of 400Mbps and in FHD with a bitrate of 200Mbps. It is recommended to use an SD memory card with Video Speed Class 60 (V60 – minimum writing speed of 60MB/s or better yet, a faster V90 SD card).
4K HDR video recording
Enhancement of the anamorphic video recording mode
Enhancement of Body I.S. (Image Stabilizer)
Correction of white balance setting
Improved usability of Power Save LVF
Other improvements and bug fixes
- A rating function using a Fn button is available in Playback Zoom and Multi Playback.
- The following functions can be assigned to Fn buttons – [Constant Preview] [6K/4K PHOTO Bulk Saving] [Min. Shtr Speed] [RAW Processing] [Rec/Playback Switch] [Destination Slot] and [Mic Level Adj.].
- The DISP.Button can be locked.
- In Relay Rec, there were cases where the video file number was not able to be reset. This bug has been fixed.
- In Relay Rec, there were cases where the video file number was reset after formatting the SD Memory Card. This bug has been fixed.
- In Backup Rec, there were cases where the file number was not reset even after applying resetting. This bug has been fixed.
- The image quality when applying the following settings has been improved: Extended low ISO, [i.Dynamic] (Intelligent D-range Control) and Highlight Shadow.
New memory cards needed for the new features
Panasonic recommends using a “Video Speed Class V60 rated SD cards” with minimum writing speed of 60MB/s for most of the new functions. Unfortunately, at this moment the availability of V60 rated SD cards is not great. We are expecting this to change during the coming months. There are only few brands who already offer V90 rated SD cards – of course they are more expensive, but guaranteed to do the job.
Did you already manage to download and install the new Panasonic GH5 firmware update? How is it performing so far in terms of stability and reliability? Which memory card do you use for the new ALL-Intra? Let us know in the comments below.