RED Komodo got a new firmware update v1.5.0 beta that adds support for 6K anamorphic R3D shooting, 6K 2:1 format, Livestream tools and magnify support, FTPS remote offload, and more. There is also a new version of REDCINE-X Pro that is required for the anamorphic mode.
As you might remember we followed the development of RED Komodo quite closely last year. Now, it has already been a few months since the RED’s compact-sized 6K camera was officially released. Although there is still quite a long waiting time for the camera, we have been seeing more and more of these little cameras in the field in the past months. After refining some bugs in the new firmware, RED finally released version 1.5.0 beta for Komodo. Let’s take a look at what the update brings.
RED Komodo V1.5.0 Beta Firmware
For the full compatibility of the new features from v1.5.0, it is important to install the new version of REDCINE-X Pro software. RED launched version V52.3.50721 along with the new Komodo firmware. It adds support for Komodo anamorphic material and it fixes some bugs such as:
- Image not updating when some of the controls were changed.
- An issue supporting camera sensor flip when GPU decode is enabled.
- Possible error when selecting audio auto-match folder.
When it comes to the v1.5.0 beta firmware for the RED Komodo itself, these are the release notes from RED:
- Added 6K Anamorphic R3D support (requires REDCINE-X PRO v52.3 or later)
- Added 6K 2:1 format
- Added Livestream Tools and Magnify support
- Added FTPS support for remote offload
- Added 4 channel audio support
- Added WiFi Scan support
- Added Prism Viewfinder mode
- Added Canon RF lens control ring support
- Added cross sync support (e.g., Genlock 30P, SDI 60P)
- Added BWAV support for off-speed audio
- Added static IP support to Infrastructure mode
- Added Exascend CFast 512GB and 1TB to the approved list
- Fixed intermittent ‘Error loading clip’ in playback
It looks like the 6K anamorphic mode is available in 6:5 2x, 4:3 2x, 4:3 1.8x, 3:2 1.8x, 3:2 1.6x, 16:9 1.5x, 17:9 1.3x, and 17:9 1.25x. RED also published some operational notes that can help to avoid some issues or limitations of the new beta firmware:
- Magnify over Live Stream and LCD in 2K, 4K, or 5K causes the live stream to freeze. Restart camera to re-enable.
- RF Lens focus range switch not currently supported
- Warning message will occur with unapproved Media and Batteries.
Last but not least, RED also published a list of steps on how to perform the update of the camera’s firmware in case you are not familiar with it:
- Copy the upgrade folder (containing the upgrade.bin file) to the top directory on the CFast card.
- Power up the camera and insert a CFAST card into the KOMODO media slot.
- Go to Menu > Maintenance > Upgrade and select OK.
- The camera initiates a 2 stage upgrade process which will automatically restart the camera.
- After the camera restarts to complete the upgrade process, select RESTART once it appears.
- Go to Menu > Camera Status > Camera Info to verify the firmware version after the camera boots.>
The firmware can be downloaded from the RED Digital Cinema Website.
Do you use RED Komodo for your work? What do you think about this new update? Are you planning to shoot anamorphic with the Komodo? Let us know in the comments section underneath the article.