Insta360 EVO is a new camera with foldable body capable to shoot 180 3D video or VR 360 video in up to 5.7K resolution as well as 18MP photos. The EVO features TimeShift mode and the companion app makes it easy to edit the content and share it. Insta360 also announced HoloFrame, which allows naked-eye playback of 3D content straight from a smartphone – no 3D glasses needed.
Insta360 seems to be bringing one innovative camera after another. Just over two months ago in January 2019 they announced the Insta360 Titan with micro four thirds sensors and 11K resolution. Last year in October the company announced the Insta360 ONE X, which is an affordable and features-packed VR camera for consumers. By the way, stay tuned to cinema5D – the Insta360 ONE X review is coming soon. Today, Insta360 is launching another new camera with an innovative approach – the Insta360 EVO.
Insta360 EVO Foldable Camera
Perhaps the most interesting feature of the new Insta360 EVO camera is its foldable design. It looks like two cameras connected together with a folding mechanism. When unfolded, the Insta360 EVO captures reality the same way human eyes see it. This way it can capture 5.7K 180 3D video and 18 MP 180 3D photos which make both details and depth stand up to reality.
When folded, the camera shoots 5.7K 360 video and 18 MP 360 photos the same way like the ONE X. 360 content can be played back on a headset or reframed with the EVO’s intuitive editing app to punch in on the best moments.
The Insta360 EVO uses two purpose-built stabilization technologies. 360 mode packs FlowState gimbal-like stabilization known from the above mentioned Insta360 ONE X. For 180 3D mode, EVO introduces new 3D stabilization technology allowing creators to move freely to get the shot while ensuring footage stays smooth, stable and headset-ready.
TimeShift mode (also known from the ONE X) puts a 360 twist on time-lapse and hyper-lapse photography, allowing users to control both the flow of time and the perspective of the camera at any given moment.
The Insta360 EVO’s companion app makes capturing and editing the content easy. WiFi connectivity lets users see what they’re capturing on EVO in real time, and then quickly transfer footage to their phone. Next, they can review, trim and tweak 180 and 360 content with a few taps, or reframe 360 footage to create the edit. The app also supports publishing 360 and 180 3D content to supporting platforms, such as YouTube and Facebook.
Content captured on the Insta360 EVO can be played back on any VR headset. Using the new Insta360 VR app, users can also connect an Oculus Go or Samsung Gear VR directly to EVO for instant playback and file transfer.
Another innovation from Insta360 involves playback of 3D content and is called HoloFrame. It allows naked-eye playback of 3D content straight from a smartphone – no 3D glasses needed. The HoloFrame pops straight over a smartphone display (like a reverse phone case). Then, users open their favorite 3D photo or video in the EVO app. During playback, the app uses eye-tracking to align with a viewer’s gaze and display an image that takes on a lifelike three dimensions in their line of sight.
Insta360 claims it is “a groundbreaking way to experience 3D content that has to be seen to be believed.” Sounds a bit like when RED was promoting their Hydrogen One holographic display. I am curious to see the HoloFrame in action with my own eyes. HoloFrame will be sold separately and is available today for iPhone models X, XS, XS Max and XR. Additional versions for Samsung Galaxy S8, S8+, S9, S9+ and Note 8 models coming soon.
Insta360 EVO Technical Specifications
- Aperture: F2.2
- Photo resolution: 6080*3040 (18 MP)
- Video resolution: 5760*[email protected], 3840*[email protected]，3840*[email protected], 3008*[email protected]
- Photo format: insp, jpeg(can be exported via App), dng(RAW)
- Video format: insv, mp4(can be exported via App), LOG
- Video coding: H264
- Video Bitrate: Up to 100Mbps
- Stabilization: Built-in 6-axis gyroscopic stabilization
- Compatible devices: iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8/8 plus, iPhone 7/7 plus, iPhone 6s/6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPad Pro, iPad (2018), many Android devices are also supported – click here to check compatible Android devices.
Photo & video specifications
- Photo modes: Standard photos, timed photos, interval photos, RAW photos, HDR photos
- Video modes: Standard video, Time-lapse mode, Log video, HDR video
- EV: -4EV~+4EV
- Exposure modes: Auto, Manual(Shutter 1/4000s-55s, ISO 100-3200), Shutter Priority(1/4000s-1/4s, photos only), ISO Priority(100-3200, photos only)
- WB: Auto, Cloudy, Sunny, Fluorescent, Incandescent
- Color: Black
- Weight: 113g
- Dimensions: Unfolded: 98.4mm*49mm*26.27mm；Folded: 50.3mm*49mm*52.54mm
Storage & Connectivity
- Bluetooth: BLE4.0
- Wi-Fi: 5G(Standard range of approximately 20 meters)
- MicroSD Card: Recommends UHS-I V30 speed class, exFAT(FAT64) format; max storage capacity is 128 GB
- Battery Capacity: 1200mAh (5V2A)
- Charging Method: Micro USB
- Charging Time: 90 mins
- Run Time: 65 mins
- Use Environment: Running temperature:-10℃~40℃; Storage temperature: -20℃~40℃
The Insta360 EVO is priced at $419.99 USD and the camera is available to order now.
What do you think about the new Insta360 EVO camera? Do you use VR 360 cameras? Let us know in the comments underneath the article.