The new RØDE VideoMic Pro++ is now available and it boasts many new features. It automatically powers on and off and gives filmmakers extended control over recorded sound.
RØDE Microphones is a Sydney, Australia-based company especially popular especially among DSLR and mirrorless filmmakers for their VideoMic series of on-camera microphones. Their newest addition to the line, the VideoMic Pro++, has now become available for pre-order. The product was announced in January during RØDEshow 2017 which celebrated the 50 years of Freedman Electronics, which RØDE is a part of.
The new VideoMic Pro++ improves on the existing VideoMic Pro+ capsule/line tube and windshield. It has the same Rycote Lyre suspension system but it also boasts many new features.
New features of the RØDE VideoMic Pro++
- Automatic Power Function (with plug-in power availability) – great feature for run-and-gun shooters. Automatically turns the microphone on when the connected camera turns on and automatically turns off when unplugged from the camera.
- Built-in Battery Door – makes replacing the battery quite easy.
- Power Options – the VideoMic Pro++ can be powered by the new RØDE LB-1 Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery (included with the microphone), 2 x AA Batteries or continuously via Micro USB.
- Digital Switching – will ensure the user has full control over capture of the audio signal at the source, reducing post-production and editing times. The Digital Switching includes:
- 2-Stage High Pass Filter – reduce low frequencies such as rumble from traffic or air conditioning.
- 3-Stage Gain Control, with +20dB function – designed to improve audio quality on DSLR or mirrorless cameras.
- High Frequency Boost – will boost high frequencies enhancing detail and clarity in the recording.
- Safety Channel – helps ensure the signal does not clip when unexpected spikes occur.
All new features are nicely explained in the video directly from RØDE:
Key specs of the RØDE VideoMic Pro++
- Acoustic Principle: Line Gradient
- Active Electronics: JFET impedance converter
- Capsule: 0.55″
- Frequency Range: 20Hz – 20kHz (selected HPF @75Hz/150Hz)
- Output Impedance: 200Ω
- Maximum SPL: 133dBSPL
- Maximum Output Level: 7.7dBu (@ 1kHz, 1% THD into 1KΩ load)
- Sensitivity: -33.6dB re 1 Volt/Pascal (21.20mV @ 94 dB SPL) +/- 2 dB @ 1kHz
- Equivalent Noise Level (A-weighted): 14dBA
- Weight: 122g
- Dimensions: 111mmH x 66mmW x 170mmD
- Output: 3.5mm Jack
The VideoMic Pro++ is available now for pre-order and it will ship with the LB-1 Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery, 3.5mm TRS Cable and Micro USB Cable. It is also possible to register the product and get RØDE’s 10-year extended warranty. There is more information and specifications directly on the RØDE website.
Seems like RØDE really listened to their customers and perfected their best-selling microphone. I especially like the automatic power function as it has already happened to me a few times that I had to re-shoot a clip because I forgot to turn on the microphone – and if a microphone is plugged into the mini jack of a camera without being turned on, the camera also doesn’t record internal audio, which is a huge problem. This makes it much more convenient.
What do you think of the new VideoMic Pro++? Are the new features enough to upgrade?