Canon has just released a firmware update version 1.1.0 for its flagship EOS-1D X Mark III camera that fixes an issue that would cause the camera to freeze. For filmmakers, this firmware update adds 23.98P frame rate in 4K UHD and FullHD recording modes. Let’s take a closer look.
Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Firmware Update Version 1.1.0
Canon just released a firmware update version 1.1.0 for its Canon EOS-1D X Mark III that fixes an issue users started to report in March 2020. Indeed, the camera could freeze when the electronic level was set to “Show” in the viewfinder display, and you pressed the shutter button or the AF-ON button. The 1D X Mark III is a high-end (and expensive) camera, and the last thing you want to see is a bug that locks it up. Below is a video that explains the issue.
The firmware update version 1.1.0 also adds a couple of features, including:
- The option to capture full HD movies and 4K UHD movies in 23.98p frame rate has been added.
- The communication speed has been improved when connected via wired LAN.
- Corrects the phenomenon in which, when the electronic level is set to “Show” in the viewfinder display, in rare cases, the camera may freeze when operating the AF-ON button or shutter button.
- Corrects the phenomenon in which the Custom Shooting Mode settings may change when the shooting mode is switched.
- The “Browser Remote” function has been added.
- The function to transfer only protected images has been added.
The addition of the 23.98P frame rate in FullHD and 4K UHD recording modes is a useful addition for filmmakers. This 23.98P frame rate is something that Canon also added back to most of their cameras.
Free Update, Available Now
The firmware update version 1.1.0 for the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III is available now. It is a free update, and you can download it directly on Canon’s website.
What do you think of this firmware update for the 1D X Mark III? Did you face this issue that causes the camera to freeze? Let us know in the comments below!