The new Sony a6500 cage from LockCircle has just been announced. Available from the end of November, it offers an asymmetrical design with lots of mounting possibilities. The full name – LockCircle Cinematic Production Cage 6500NY.
Film equipment company LockCircle have recently introduced their new Cinematic production cage for the Sony a6500. It seems very similar to their cage for Sony’s previous model, the a6300.
The new Sony a6500 mirrorless camera is a little bit bigger than the a6300. The official dimensions are:
- Sony a6500: 4.7 x 2.6 x 2.1″ / 120.0 x 66.9 x 53.3 mm excluding protrusions
- Sony a6300: 4.7 x 2.6 x 1.9″ / 120.0 x 66.9 x 48.8 mm excluding protrusions
So you probably would not be able to fit the new a6500 into the old cage. You will be able to fit the a6300 into this cage, however.
The Sony a6500 cage from LockCircle features a tight “Asymmetrical Design Approach”, meaning you can hold the camera ergonomically with your right hand using the original grip on the camera body.
A total of 103 (!) 1/4”-20 and 4 3/8”-16 threads are available for mounting various accessories and camera handles. The 6500NY cage integrates the MicroPort micro HDMI / USB connectors locking clamps, and the popular LockPort Flex (micro to full-size HDMI output), used on the Birdcage A7 and A7M2.
The 6500NY cage camera-plate has a Meta-Block mount for Metabones and an IMS-Block for IMS-Mounts designed to achieve good follow-focus work. IMS mounts are available for E-MOUNT to Canon EF/Nikon F (with positive-lock concept), PL-Mount, Panavision, BNCR, Leica R and Leica M, with others mounts coming soon.
The original pop-out camera flash works with the 6500NY cage without limitations. Vertical camera mounting is available as well as a modular 15mm rods baseplate.
This new Sony a6500 cage weighs only 200g (7 o.z.) without accessories, and has several threads to mount the (AC) tape measurement hook.
Sony a6500 Cage LockCircle 6500NY Highlights:
- Asymmetrical cage design
- Right hand camera grip/control with original Sony ergonomics
- Birdcage Top Grip handle and Boombooster compatible accessories
- CNC machind from billet aluminum
- Genuine titanium screws
- MicroPort and LockPort Flex HDMI/USB port savers
- Meta-Block mount (adjustable) for Metabones monolithic mounting
- IMS-Block for IMS- Mounts for serious cinematographers needs
- Several IMS Professional lens mounts available
- Focal Plane thread for AC measurement hook
- Compatible with Sony a6300
The LockCircle Sony a6500 cage will be available for delivery from the end of November 2016, with prices starting from $299.00 + shipping and tax (€279.00 + VAT).