ZEISS has just released four new lenses to its Supreme Prime Radiance line-up: the 18/40/65/135mm, all with a T/1.5 maximum aperture. With an approximate price of $24.000 per lens, these close-to-optically-perfect lenses are not for everybody but mainly high-end rental houses. Let’s take a closer look at these!
The ZEISS Supreme Prime Radiance lenses came out in 2019 and are a “variation” of the original Supreme Primes released in 2018. These lenses are some of the best money can buy and direct competitors to legendary pieces of glass such as the Cooke Full Frame Plus S7/i or the ARRI Signature Primes.
When ZEISS launched the Supreme Prime Radiance lenses, only seven lenses were available: 21mm/25mm/29mm/35mm/50mm/85mm and 100mm. The company has just filled some gaps in the line-up with the addition of the ZEISS 18/40/65/135mm T/1.5 Supreme Prime Radiance.
ZEISS 18/40/65/135mm T/1.5 Supreme Prime Radiance
If you never heard of the ZEISS Supreme Prime Radiance lenses before, here is a quick summary of their specs:
- All of the lenses feature a T/1.5 aperture.
- The ZEISS Supreme Prime Radiance glass has a 46.2mm image circle. It means you can use them with full-frame and Super 35mm sensors.
- The lenses come with an interchangeable PL mount. On each lens, there is a LEMO port for eXtended Data (XD) technology.
- The front diameter is fairly small at only 95mm (except for the 18mm and 135mm, which are 114mm).
- The focus throw is 300°.
- The length of each lens is standard: 119mm/121mm/146mm/163mm (front to PL mount flange)
- Weight: 1.22kg (3.13 lbs) up to 2.27kg (4.40 lbs).
- New T* blue coating on each lens.
You probably got it, the specs of these lenses are out of this world and they’ll mostly be used on feature films. With the addition of the 18mm, 40mm, 65mm and 135mm T/1.5, the ZEISS Supreme Prime Radiance now consist of eleven focal lengths. The full set now covers all possible applications for high-end productions.
Price and availability
All lenses are available now for around $24.000 each. For more information, please visit ZEISS’ website here.
What do you think about these new ZEISS lenses? Did you ever shot with such high-end pieces of glass? Do you consider getting a set instead of buying a house? Don’t hesitate to let us know in the comments below!