Neat Video 5.2, the new version of the popular noise-reducing video editing plug-in, has been released. It brings support for Metal GPU acceleration (on macOS 10.15 and newer), support for new GPU models in the new Mac Pro, and some more improvements.
In case you are not familiar with Neat Video, it is a video editing plug-in designed to reduce digital noise and other imperfections in your clips. It is an effective way to clean up video from any source including video cameras, digitized film, TV tuners, and others. It is available for most NLEs including Adobe After Effects. The new Neat Video 5.2 version is out and it brings some new features. Let’s take a closer look at them.
Neat Video 5.2
Perhaps the most interesting new feature of this update is embracing Metal support in macOS plug-ins, which may noticeably improve render times. In short, Metal is Apple’s new technology designed to maximize the processing power and usage of GPU for many applications. More on Metal can be found here on the Apple website.
Neat Video 5.2 can now use the new Metal technology (in macOS 10.15 and newer), in addition to OpenCL, which may increase the speed of Neat Video’s GPU-based processing for up to 40% depending on hardware, frame size and filter settings. The speedup is especially noticeable with large frames (like 4K) and a high temporal radius. In macOS 10.15, switching Neat Video from OpenCL to Metal can be done in Neat Video Preferences > Performance > GPU > Advanced Settings.
Further new features and improvements of Neat Video 5.2 are:
- Added support for GPU models used in new Mac Pro machines: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II, AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo
- Also supported now (MacOS): AMD Radeon RX 5700 / 5700 XT, AMD Radeon Pro 555X / 560X / 570X / 575X / 580X
- Additional optimizations in GPU code: better performance with a single GPU on 8 and 16-bit clips (up to 4%-8% depending on hardware and filter settings), better performance with two GPUs working simultaneously
- Improved receiving frames from Premiere to Neat Video making the process more reliable and visually indicative (in Premiere SR plug-in)
- Added support for the new version of HitFilm in OpenFX plug-in: HitFilm Pro 14 (Windows, MacOS)
- Several changes and improvements in GUI
For a roundup of Neat Video 5 features, you can check the video below.
Price and Availability
The Neat Video 5.2 update is available now and it is free for licensed users of version 5 of Neat Video. For those, who don’t have Neat Video 5 yet, it is possible to try Demo editions of Neat Video 5 plug-ins.
The pricing for the Neat Video plugin starts at $74.90. Upgrading from an older version of Neat Video (version 1, 2, 3 or 4) to the new major version 5 can be done with a discount. More information about pricing can be found here.
Do you use Neat Video to de-noise some of your clips or do you prefer some other software? What do you think about the new 5.2 version? Let us know in the comments underneath the article.