Sony has just released a new 5G smartphone for filmmakers that is part of its CineAlta smartphone lineup: the Sony Xperia 5 II. This phone features a 21:1 CinemaWide 6.1″ FHD+ HDR OLED display. Also, there is a triple-lens camera paired with ZEISS optics that can capture 4K HDR 120fps footage, real-time Eye AF for humans and animals, etc. Let’s take a closer at it!
Sony Xperia 5 II – Xperia 1 II’s Little Brother
Sony continues to expand its lineup of 5G CineAlta smartphones with the Xperia 5 II. Indeed, earlier this year, they already released the Xperia 1 II and announced the Xperia Pro.
The Sony Xperia 5 II is a more compact option, but it has a lot of similarities with its big brother, the Xperia 1 II:
- A triple-lens camera paired with ZEISS optics: 16mm/24mm/70mm.
- Similar 1/1.7″ Exmor RS image sensor.
- Photography Pro user interface allows you to adjust ISO, Shutter Speed manually, and EV Indicator, while also providing RAW photo (.dng) capture.
- It can take 12Mp stills at up to 20 fps continuous burst shooting with real-time Eye AF for humans and animals and up to 20 fps continuous shooting with AF/AE on the 24mm camera. The 16mm and 70mm cameras can capture at up to 10 fps AF/AE.
- 4K HDR movie recording at 24, 25, 30, and 60fps.
- A 3.5mm audio jack on top of the phone.
- The Sony Xperia 5 II is powered with the same Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 processor with 5G connectivity.
- The display support DCI-P3 and BT.2020 color spaces.
- A 4.000mAh battery with wireless charging and a USB Type-C connector.
- IP65/68 water resistance and Corning Gorilla Glass 6 on both sides.
But, there are also small differences between the Sony Xperia 5 II and its bigger brother.
Same but Different
Here is a shortlist of the differences between the Xperia 5 II and the Xperia 1 II:
- The Sony Xperia 5 II can capture 4K HDR 120fps slow-motion footage.
- The Xperia 5 II is smaller and lighter (158 x 68 x 8 mm for 163g vs. 166 x 72 x 7.9 mm with a weight of 181g for the Xperia 1 II).
- There is a 21:9 CinemaWide FHD+ HDR OLED display on the Xperia 5 II. The display is “only” 6.1″ vs. 6.5″ 4K HDR OLED on the Xperia 1 II.
- The Xperia 5 II display has a 120Hz Refresh rate and 240Hz Motion blur reduction for smooth action, plus a 240Hz Touch scanning rate and Touch response improvements.
- 6Gb of RAM and internal storage of 128Gb (microSDXC support up to 1Tb) for the Xperia 5 II. The Xperia 1 II has 8Gb of RAM and 256Gb of internal storage.
Price and Availability
You got it. The Xperia 5 II is not a revolution, but a more compact version of the Xperia 1 II.
The Xperia 5 II will be available this October for €899.00 in a black, blue, or grey colorway. As a direct comparison, the Xperia 1 II is €1199.00.
What do you think about this new Sony Xperia 5 II smartphone? Do you already have the Xperia 1 II? Did you already try shooting with a Sony CineAlta smartphone? Don’t hesitate to let us know in the comments below!