GNARBOX recently released a software update, version 2.7.1, for its GNARBOX 2.0 backup device. This new version introduces a new GNARBOX App that merges both Safekeep and Selects apps into an all-in-one solution. Also, with this latest version, you can now use your iPhone/iPad as a hotspot to directly upload your footage to Frame.io or Dropbox. Let’s take a closer look at all the new functionalities!
If you never heard of GNARBOX 2.0 before, this is a portable backup storage solution launched in October 2019. This product’s main goal is to backup all your footage directly on set, without needing a computer. With a maximum capacity of 1TB and removable batteries, this device for photographers and filmmakers helps you offloading your cards with peace of mind that all your data is safe.
In June 2020, the company launched a software update version 2.6.0 with Frame.io integration. The device already had direct integration with Lightroom CC, Affinity Photo, Lumafusion, and iOS Files. (frame.io also just launched their own “camera-to-cloud” solution, check the news here.)
GNARBOX recently pushed things a bit further with the latest GNARBOX 2.0 software update version 2.7.0 that can now upload your footage directly to the cloud via your iPhone/iPad 4G/5G connectivity.
GNARBOX 2.0 software update version 2.7.0
With the latest GNARBOX 2.0 software update version 2.7.0, you’ll benefit from numerous new functionalities and bug fixes, including:
- iPhone/iPad Hotspot Tethering means that you can connect your GNARBOX 2.0 to your iPhone or iPad’s cellular hotspot using a lightning to USB-C cable. Files can now be uploaded to Dropbox or Frame.io immediately from the field.
- Backup Preset for Cloud uploads: you can now not only define the location and folder to backup to, but you can now add cloud destinations as part of your preset.
- You can now quickly switch your GNARBOX 2.0 into Home Mode with a few button presses on the unit. GNARBOX 2.0 will automatically connect to any network it has previously been connected to.
- Both Selects and Safekeep Apps have been merged into a new all-in-one App: GNARBOX. The App is available for iOS and Android users.
- Key improvements to Backup Presets (formerly “Folder Presets”): you now have the ability to assign an existing Backup Preset to be the default “Backup Now” function. You can also duplicate any existing preset and rearrange the order in which presets appear in the list.
- The OLED display will now indicate whether the device is in Home or Field mode and if a cloud upload is in progress.
- Based on user feedback, they have updated the task manager icon to more clearly indicate its function. Additionally, when a task is in progress, the icon will change to display a yellow clock.
- SD card update process: if you’re updating your software from a previous version, you can now retain all your settings, including cloud logins, WiFi networks, backup settings, etc.
- Adds support for the DJI CineSSD reader for the Inspire 2 drone.
- Resolves an intermittent bug that caused issues connecting the Sony MRW-G1 XQD/CFexpress card reader for some users.
GNARBOX 2.0 software “bugfix update” 2.7.1
Also, the latest 2.7.1 mini-update that was just released adds a new function that allows you to switch off the GNARBOX 2.0 WiFi and corrects a few additional bugs and issues.
Price and availability
The GNARBOX 2.0 software update 2.7.1 is a free firmware update that is available now. This software release requires downloading the new GNARBOX app, followed by Software, Operating System, and Firmware updates.
GNARBOX 2.0 is already available for $499 (256GB), $599 (512GB), and $899 (1TB) depending on your needs. For more information, please visit GNARBOX’s website here.
What do you think about this GNARBOX 2.0 software update 2.7.1? Are you already using a GNARBOX 2.0 SSD? Let us know in the comments below!