Sound Devices has just announced a new 7.13 firmware update for all MixPre recorders. This update fixes an issue where MixPre recorders entered a state where there were level discrepancies between channels. Also, all units now provide a higher current on the USB-A port when the unit is powered via USB-C. Let’s take a closer look at it!
Sound Devices frequently releases firmware updates for its products, including the MixPre II line that we first saw back in 2019. Indeed, with the version 6.00 all MixPre II recorders are now capable of USB audio streaming in 32-bit float mode, which is a world’s first for a field recorder. In the version 7.00, Sound Devices introduced NoiseAssist, a built-in noise-reduction plugin directly in your recorder.
Sound Devices 7.13 firmware update for MixPre recorders
First of all, this firmware update is compatible with all MixPre recorders, including the MixPre-3, MixPre-3M, MixPre-3 II, MixPre-6, MixPre-6M, and MixPre-6 II.
With this Sound Devices 7.13 firmware update, here is a quick list of the fixes:
- MixPre no longer enters a state where there are level discrepancies between channels.
- All recorders now provide a higher current on USB-A when the unit is powered via USB-C. USB-A provides up to 500 mA. Use a powered hub if your peripherals require more than 500 mA.
Also, in the past updates (since the version 7.00), Sound Devices introduced several changes and improvements, including:
- Front panel locks: if you press channel knobs 1, 2, and 3, you can now enter the new Front Panel menu. You’ll be able to lock transport controls, the touchscreen, channel knobs, and/or the headphone knob to avoid accidental changes or when you are leaving your MixPre unattended.
- The default isolated track names in Audio projects are now “Ch1”, “Ch2”, “Ch3”, etc.
- If you’re using a keyboard plugged into your MixPre recorder, there are a couple of new USB keyboard shortcuts. Also, if you hold down a key on a USB keyboard for more than 0.5s, it now repeats the command. This improves the usability of keyboards for setting gain and other functions.
Price and availability
The Sound Devices 7.13 firmware update is now available for free. You can download it directly on Sound Devices’ website here.
What do you think about Sound Devices’ recent firmware updates? Have you ever used a Sound Devices mixer or recorder? Don’t hesitate to let us know in the comments below!